Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Phone charges faster from external battery than AC

OP Skyrocketing

18th June 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #1  
Skyrocketing's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
120 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Just something I've been noticing, my phone charges must faster using an external battery than the wall AC adapter. Anyone have an idea why? Battery is 5V/1A, adapter is 5V/2A. Same occurs for other adapter that is 5V/1A output. I happen to be using a third party micro USB cable.
18th June 2014, 04:01 AM   |  #2  
ThePagel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 572
 
987 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrocketing

Just something I've been noticing, my phone charges must faster using an external battery than the wall AC adapter. Anyone have an idea why? Battery is 5V/1A, adapter is 5V/2A. Same occurs for other adapter that is 5V/1A output. I happen to be using a third party micro USB cable.

Something is odd there. 2 amp should always beat 1 amp.
18th June 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #3  
Skyrocketing's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
120 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel

Something is odd there. 2 amp should always beat 1 amp.

Well I do know that phones have a limit of how much power they can receive regardless of the output of the adapter. But that's not that I'm confused about. The external battery pack and the other adapter have the same output but the AC adapter charges much more slowly. For example, I was using my phone heavily last night as to where my phone battery was decreasing while plugged into the wall adapter. Once I switched to the external battery it started increasing my phone battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

EDIT: May have figured out the problem. At least testing with my Nexus 7 using the stock Nexus 7 AC adapter, I compared the charging speed using the stock Nexus 7 cable and my third party cable. In 15 minutes using the stock cable it charged about 10%. In 15 minutes using the third party, about 2-3%. I never knew that the cable could affect the charging speed.
Last edited by Skyrocketing; 18th June 2014 at 04:53 PM.
18th June 2014, 08:48 PM   |  #4  
ShapesBlue's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 839
 
4,483 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrocketing

Well I do know that phones have a limit of how much power they can receive regardless of the output of the adapter. But that's not that I'm confused about. The external battery pack and the other adapter have the same output but the AC adapter charges much more slowly. For example, I was using my phone heavily last night as to where my phone battery was decreasing while plugged into the wall adapter. Once I switched to the external battery it started increasing my phone battery.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

EDIT: May have figured out the problem. At least testing with my Nexus 7 using the stock Nexus 7 AC adapter, I compared the charging speed using the stock Nexus 7 cable and my third party cable. In 15 minutes using the stock cable it charged about 10%. In 15 minutes using the third party, about 2-3%. I never knew that the cable could affect the charging speed.

A lot of times yes. My original charger works a lot better than any other one but I also utilize fast charge from lean kernel for example but it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes