Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

UX Design in Apps and ROMs w/ Kevin Bruckert – BABBQ2014

This year’s Big Android BBQ has come and gone. While the whole event was … more

Bring Material Design Goodness to Your App with Support Library

At Google I/O 2014, the next iteration of Android was announced and … more
Post Reply

How about the performance of Exynos 5250?

OP Alexsandra

12th June 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #1  
Alexsandra's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 12
 
273 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Hi, guys. I am interested in N10,but I am very curious about performance of N10. I know Samsung use an dual core based at ARM15, but its screen has a high resolution 2560x1400. Is its dual core really capable of such a high resolution? How about the performance of multiple tasking? Any lag? My current cellphone is Galaxy Note 2 that has a quad core chip, but it is not as fast as what I thought until I flash 4.4.2 ROM. Tell me your experience of using N10. Your comment would really help me make a good decision. By the way, the main purpose is to internet bowersing and watch movies which store on portable HDD. Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app
12th June 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #2  
sfobrien's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 322
 
1,022 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
I have been running the Nexus 10 since it came out. No complaints here. I watch allot of Youtube video, news and sports videos, etc. Even runs better when I tether it off my 4G. Been testing latest 4.4.3 Roms available here at XDA. Not much difference over 4.4.2, runs good with either.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #3  
mrgnex's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vlaardingen
Thanks Meter: 298
 
1,030 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
The cpu doesnt primarily drive the screen so it handles the big resolution screen very well. With browsing and watching movies its just fast. This thing is a beast when it comes to gaming because it has a kick ass gpu..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgnex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 146
 
459 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra

Hi, guys. I am interested in N10,but I am very curious about performance of N10. I know Samsung use an dual core based at ARM15, but its screen has a high resolution 2560x1400. Is its dual core really capable of such a high resolution? How about the performance of multiple tasking? Any lag? My current cellphone is Galaxy Note 2 that has a quad core chip, but it is not as fast as what I thought until I flash 4.4.2 ROM. Tell me your experience of using N10. Your comment would really help me make a good decision. By the way, the main purpose is to internet bowersing and watch movies which store on portable HDD. Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app

I agree with the two posts above mine. I've had this tablet for a few months, and never once has it felt slow or sluggish with anything I've thrown at it. This ain't your typical dual core. It's on par with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013).
13th June 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #5  
Alexsandra's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 12
 
273 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex

The cpu doesnt primarily drive the screen so it handles the big resolution screen very well. With browsing and watching movies its just fast. This thing is a beast when it comes to gaming because it has a kick ass gpu..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

Great!
14th June 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #6  
XxLordxX's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Why do you need to know that?
Thanks Meter: 1,082
 
2,875 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Hi,

Not only what the guys said above, to power the screen resolution, the GPU has 1GB allocated to it since 4.3 if I'm not wrong. So it's quite capable, just be careful when using many apps, the RAM is limited to only 1GB due to it. Even though I'm able to play many games and watch full HD videos with ease and comfort .

~Lord
14th June 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra

Great!

As usual, the correct answer would be: "It depends!"

The Nexus 10 is the best Samsung could do at the time it came out.

Somehow both Google and Samsung felt compelled at the time to deliver something that would beat Apple at least on paper.

Truth is, it's a somewhat unbalanced device by today's standards.
A typical competitor today would probably have a Qualcom Snapdragon 800 or better and you'd notice the difference!

Generally CPU performance is still quite ok: More than 2 cores rarely make sense and these ARM 15 cores tend to have enough oomph for the sort of things you'd run on a tablet CPU. And the Exynos seems to be a close match to the Snapdragon, core by core.
So there, for all practical purposes, it won't feel much slower than a modern devices.

But the GPU can't quite deal with the resolution and even if it could, DRAM bandwidth would be the next barrier. So when you look for 3D game performance, the Nexus 10 can't quite keep up with what is out there these days.

Depending on your benchmark it may feel like a dog, but good games tailer themselves to what's available and even some 3D ones are actually ok.

Mine's most used for reading books, surfing, perhaps even some video, I'm also doing some writing (with BT keyboard/mouse) on it and that's all more than ok, especially when you want to flip forth and back between lots of web-sites and programs.

I'd say when you can get the Nexus 10 for cheap it's still pretty good, when you're ready to pay prime dollar, you'll find better even from Samsung.
18th June 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 100
 
259 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by abufrejoval

As usual, the correct answer would be: "It depends!"

The Nexus 10 is the best Samsung could do at the time it came out.

Somehow both Google and Samsung felt compelled at the time to deliver something that would beat Apple at least on paper.

Truth is, it's a somewhat unbalanced device by today's standards.
A typical competitor today would probably have a Qualcom Snapdragon 800 or better and you'd notice the difference!

Generally CPU performance is still quite ok: More than 2 cores rarely make sense and these ARM 15 cores tend to have enough oomph for the sort of things you'd run on a tablet CPU. And the Exynos seems to be a close match to the Snapdragon, core by core.
So there, for all practical purposes, it won't feel much slower than a modern devices.

But the GPU can't quite deal with the resolution and even if it could, DRAM bandwidth would be the next barrier. So when you look for 3D game performance, the Nexus 10 can't quite keep up with what is out there these days.

Depending on your benchmark it may feel like a dog, but good games tailer themselves to what's available and even some 3D ones are actually ok.

Mine's most used for reading books, surfing, perhaps even some video, I'm also doing some writing (with BT keyboard/mouse) on it and that's all more than ok, especially when you want to flip forth and back between lots of web-sites and programs.

I'd say when you can get the Nexus 10 for cheap it's still pretty good, when you're ready to pay prime dollar, you'll find better even from Samsung.

I'd say this is a pretty fair assessment. GPU struggles with some modern apps such as Google maps, and even now Chrome isn't the best. I still use browser because its much smoother, and I also use the 'performance' CPU governor which locks the tablet to 1.7ghz and really helps responsiveness.

That being said, its still a really really nice tablet generally. If you're getting it for a good price you should be happy enough. I still love using mine nearly 2 years after buying it, and I'm comparing it to my snap 800 powered XZU. Its still a really nice screen, really nice design. Quick enough and battery life is not too bad these days either! (6 hours SOT easy with brightness at 35℅)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 10 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank