Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

[Recovery] P6S - Create or modify Recovery

3rd June 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 6

45 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello,

I'm triying to create a new recover or modify the stock recovery for a P6S (yes, the "S" version) but I run into a problem. Whenever I unpack and repack the stock recovery It won't boot even if I don't modify anything. żIs there any locking mechanism in Huawei devices that will prevent modified recovery images from booting?

The first thing I'm trying to do is solve a BUG in the STOCK recovery. The bug is that the external storage is configured to /sdcard on /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 but the phone has dual SIM slot without any external SD card. It came with a micro-USB to female USB in which you can connect an external USB stick, therefore the external storage should be /usb on /dev/sda1. The problem with this BUG is that you cannot apply the stock recovery procedure placing the dload/UPDATE.APP in an external memory.

I have extracted the RECOVERY.img from the original UPDATE.APP, the image is correct because I can flash it with fastboot without any problem.

I have also been able to comiple CWM for the device without errors but the image just won't boot.
3rd June 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 7,941

3,464 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by abequer

Hello,

I'm triying to create a new recover or modify the stock recovery for a P6S (yes, the "S" version) but I run into a problem. Whenever I unpack and repack the stock recovery It won't boot even if I don't modify anything. żIs there any locking mechanism in Huawei devices that will prevent modified recovery images from booting?

The first thing I'm trying to do is solve a BUG in the STOCK recovery. The bug is that the external storage is configured to /sdcard on /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 but the phone has dual SIM slot without any external SD card. It came with a micro-USB to female USB in which you can connect an external USB stick, therefore the external storage should be /usb on /dev/sda1. The problem with this BUG is that you cannot apply the stock recovery procedure placing the dload/UPDATE.APP in an external memory.

I have extracted the RECOVERY.img from the original UPDATE.APP, the image is correct because I can flash it with fastboot without any problem.

I have also been able to comiple CWM for the device without errors but the image just won't boot.

Hi !

Please un-pack and repack stock recovery.img with this tools by @dsixda !

This tools has ability to add also ramdisk offset .

Good luck !
4th June 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Mexico City

45 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by surdu_petru

Hi !

Please un-pack and repack stock recovery.img with this tools by @dsixda !

This tools has ability to add also ramdisk offset .

Good luck !

Thanky you Surdu

I have been able to make some progrss on this. I have successfully compiled a TWRP image that actually boots the kernel but nothing is displayed on scree. I know it boots because I can mount exteral USB disks (the led turns on) and I see the device with "adb devices" as offline.

I'm modifying the init.rc file to have it running. Is this the way of going forward?
4th June 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 7,941

3,464 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Thanky you Surdu

I have been able to make some progrss on this. I have successfully compiled a TWRP image that actually boots the kernel but nothing is displayed on scree. I know it boots because I can mount exteral USB disks (the led turns on) and I see the device with "adb devices" as offline.

I'm modifying the init.rc file to have it running. Is this the way of going forward?

I already pushed "twrp source" for P6 on my github ! You can take a look and compare with yours . If the screen is off, you should also check this flag : "TARGET_RECOVERY_PIXEL_FORMAT" - as different from a device to another.

Anyway good luck !
7th June 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Mexico City

45 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by surdu_petru

I already pushed "twrp source" for P6 on my github ! You can take a look and compare with yours . If the screen is off, you should also check this flag : "TARGET_RECOVERY_PIXEL_FORMAT" - as different from a device to another.

Anyway good luck !

Thankyou Surdu

I've been able to compile TWRP using your P6 source. It boots and stays on if I disable the healthd service. If I leave healthd service on it will boot-loop the device.

I can get adbd running but I can't get the "TWRP courtain" to be shown. I know adb is running because on the computer #adb devices show me "0123456789ABCDEF offline" (i don't know why it is always shown as offline instead of recovery)

I'll continue searching onece I have a little more spare time. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Last edited by abequer; 7th June 2014 at 02:32 AM.
18th June 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Mexico City

45 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thankyou Surdu

I've been able to compile TWRP using your P6 source. It boots and stays on if I disable the healthd service. If I leave healthd service on it will boot-loop the device.

I can get adbd running but I can't get the "TWRP courtain" to be shown. I know adb is running because on the computer #adb devices show me "0123456789ABCDEF offline" (i don't know why it is always shown as offline instead of recovery)

I'll continue searching onece I have a little more spare time. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

As of now, I was able to modify and successfully use a stock RECOVERY including a compiled version of ADB (using OMNI source) that will enable root access via adb. I still haven't found what is wrong with the recovery binary for TWRP.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread