Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,640 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is safestrap even worth using? Can I gain extra abilities not in stock?

Tip us?

Mysticales
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
Question [Q] Is safestrap even worth using? Can I gain extra abilities not in stock?

Hello, just was wondering yet again about this whole safestrap, since I am stuck on 4.3 MK2 right now. I mean I see that its running off /sdcard and that I can choose the /data partition, however I am lacking some info here.

Stock rom, how much is that /data partition? Do the apps I have already on my stock rom carry over or would they need to be all reinstalled, which would take up more space?

I do have a 64GB External card in my phone, can that be used any?

Finally for now.. could I gain abilities that my stock rom seems to lack? Cifs support, Better PPP support? Wifi tethering that I can change the macid on?

Almost half tempted at this point to offer a commission to get me on the right path.. had this phone for a year now and its the ONLY android in my entire xda history.. that I havent modded really yet other then a simple root. =( Shouldve never let the TMO S3 out of my hands.. least that one I had everything the way I needed it.. cept LTE support. Which is why I even went to this phone.
~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~
Galaxy S4 (At&t) - Stock 4.3 Rooted
Dell Streak 7 - Streakdroid R8
Ouya - (and my review)

jmjoyas
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Read the first few posts of this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE using Tapatalk

Mysticales
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
I have, and the master thread too, however still very confusing, I mean in the past, everything I have worked on, G1, Xperias, HTC Leos with Windows and Android Boots, Mytouches, S3s etc, all those I could understand, however now I get to the S4.. which seems to be crippled to hell and almost "seems" as if safestrap doesnt really add much? I mean if you cant touch the kernel, then I am not sure that extra abilities, like network file mapping, or so could be even added? Unless these safestrap roms have a different way of loading modules into the system?
Ouya - (and my review)

netomel
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 620

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticales View Post
I have, and the master thread too, however still very confusing, I mean in the past, everything I have worked on, G1, Xperias, HTC Leos with Windows and Android Boots, Mytouches, S3s etc, all those I could understand, however now I get to the S4.. which seems to be crippled to hell and almost "seems" as if safestrap doesnt really add much? I mean if you cant touch the kernel, then I am not sure that extra abilities, like network file mapping, or so could be even added? Unless these safestrap roms have a different way of loading modules into the system?
The abilities you get out of Safestrap ROMs are only on the system side. Technically on the 4.3 kernel we have a way to load unsigned modules, but currently that's only being used to aid in the development of a kexec module to let us load custom kernels. But other than that, the only thing you gain is system mods like changed/themed UI and extra toggles and settings that don't require kernel changes. If you use the KitKat Magic Toolkit you can actually get a mostly working Google Edition ROM, but that's by preference and there's a few things not working with it still.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)

Mysticales
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
Thanks for the info! So its kinda as I thought.. no real point in it, since it doesnt give the ability to be a power user system... Main one I really need is cifs.ko for the network file share ability to access my folders for one.. then wouldnt mind being able to have my wifi tethering back where I can assign the macid.

Wonder if the galaxy s5 is also hard to work with. =/

Just wonder so much why people would prefer safestrap unless they just like the ability to boot into an OS theme of choice?
Ouya - (and my review)

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticales View Post

Wonder if the galaxy s5 is also hard to work with. =/

Just wonder so much why people would prefer safestrap unless they just like the ability to boot into an OS theme of choice?
The s5 is as bad.

The reason people prefer safestrap is because that's all there is

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app