Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touchscreen problems

Tip us?
 
BelfastGonzo
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Touchscreen problems

I have a UK Advent Vega Tetra Note 7 (the Currys /PC World version) with a slide cover. Lately the touchscreen has been exhibiting a few intermittent problems. The most annoying is that when I hit a soft key or type a letter, the screen registers multiple touches. This is extremely frustrating when I hit the back button, only to close the entire application.

The pinch and zoom sometimes plays up to. I thought that might be related to the already-identified issue over the black area to the sides of the screen being touch sensitive when they really should not be. It means that your palm often inadvertently acts as a second finger when scrolling, and zooms the screen. However the problem seems deeper, as it can happen even when being careful not to touch the bezel. And if you hold the black area off to the side of the screen, it brings up a menu.

When browsing, occasionally the touch and hold works a bit randomly, for example, when you hold a link that you want to bring up in a new tab.

I have factory reset the tablet and the problem disappears, only to reappear later. And it isn't constant either - it comes and goes.

I wonder if the issue has something to do with the magnetic slide case? Or do users without the case also experience problems? It really is a pity, as this is a great tablet otherwise.
 
BuToNz
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 15
Join Date: May 2014
I've had issues similar. After going back to 4.3 they seemed to go away (battery life was better too). Now back on 4.4.2 and OTA 2.3 the problems are there again. It must be a software issue, hopefully it'll be fixed along with the battery life issues.

Roll on 4.5 and let's hope nvidia give us it.
 
BelfastGonzo
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default downgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuToNz View Post
I've had issues similar. After going back to 4.3 they seemed to go away (battery life was better too). Now back on 4.4.2 and OTA 2.3 the problems are there again. It must be a software issue, hopefully it'll be fixed along with the battery life issues.

Roll on 4.5 and let's hope nvidia give us it.
How did you downgrade? Is it just a case of a factory reset, then declining any upgrades?

I do hope Nvidia are aware of this problem. It really takes the shine of a good tablet.
 
BuToNz
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 15
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfastGonzo View Post
How did you downgrade? Is it just a case of a factory reset, then declining any upgrades?

I do hope Nvidia are aware of this problem. It really takes the shine of a good tablet.
Look here for an Advent guide to reflashing the 4.3 ROM:
http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/pro...oad-select/296

You can ignore the updates afterwards. By no means though is 4.3 perfect, there is problems with the GPS and various other things that have been fixed in the latest versions.

Personally I found the latest to be best overall - Minus the battery life issues and some minor stylus/touchscreen issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuToNz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jbartle
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Thank you BuToNz. I developed touchscreen problems when using the stylus after updating to 4.4.2, sensitivity was lost in an area the size of a large coin, if it registered anything in this zone it was just a messed up line. I downgraded as per the link details to 4.3 and the touchscreen with stylus is fine again.. Left feedback with Nvidia, hopefully they can repair this.
 
Shaky156
Old
#6  
Shaky156's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1910
Posts: 884
Join Date: Aug 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfastGonzo View Post
I have a UK Advent Vega Tetra Note 7 (the Currys /PC World version) with a slide cover. Lately the touchscreen has been exhibiting a few intermittent problems. The most annoying is that when I hit a soft key or type a letter, the screen registers multiple touches. This is extremely frustrating when I hit the back button, only to close the entire application.

The pinch and zoom sometimes plays up to. I thought that might be related to the already-identified issue over the black area to the sides of the screen being touch sensitive when they really should not be. It means that your palm often inadvertently acts as a second finger when scrolling, and zooms the screen. However the problem seems deeper, as it can happen even when being careful not to touch the bezel. And if you hold the black area off to the side of the screen, it brings up a menu.

When browsing, occasionally the touch and hold works a bit randomly, for example, when you hold a link that you want to bring up in a new tab.

I have factory reset the tablet and the problem disappears, only to reappear later. And it isn't constant either - it comes and goes.

I wonder if the issue has something to do with the magnetic slide case? Or do users without the case also experience problems? It really is a pity, as this is a great tablet otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuToNz View Post
I've had issues similar. After going back to 4.3 they seemed to go away (battery life was better too). Now back on 4.4.2 and OTA 2.3 the problems are there again. It must be a software issue, hopefully it'll be fixed along with the battery life issues.

Roll on 4.5 and let's hope nvidia give us it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle View Post
Thank you BuToNz. I developed touchscreen problems when using the stylus after updating to 4.4.2, sensitivity was lost in an area the size of a large coin, if it registered anything in this zone it was just a messed up line. I downgraded as per the link details to 4.3 and the touchscreen with stylus is fine again.. Left feedback with Nvidia, hopefully they can repair this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2787574
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more

Make Your Own DIY Capacitive Stylus

The XDA Portal is a place where we like to talkabout things that are interesting, fun, and sometimes … more