Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,312 Members 38,986 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Error installing app Can not install USB storage or SD card

Tip us?
 
eracet
Old
(Last edited by eracet; 13th June 2014 at 02:14 AM.) Reason: update
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 90
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default [Q] Error installing app Can not install USB storage or SD card

I recently updated my external SD card.
Transfered all the information from the old one to the new one, VIA Windows PC.

Seems like all went fine until I went to one program I thought was installed PPSSPP
Seeing as it wasnt showing up now I tried re-installing it.
Now with the play store it says after downloading that the app
Could not be installed on USB storage or SD card.

Looking at troubleshooting here is what I did so far.
I did look for the file smdl2tmp1 and did not find it anywhere.
Unmounted the SD and rebooted , install of PPSSPP and says same error.
Removed SD and booted , still same error on install.
Dirty Flash Rom.
loaded Rom Toolbox lite and changed app2sd location.
Same error on everything I tried.
The only thing I can come up with is that there is a file that is causing problems that I cannot find where it is.

Any suggestions without doing a full flash and reinstall?

HTC EVO 4g LTE
Carbon Rom 4.4.1

Any thing to help is greatly appreciated

Update tried downloading and installing another app and getting same error , on something that I never installed before.

Update 2. Wiped SD internal and external , did not work. Same error
 
eracet
Old
#2  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 90
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracet View Post
I recently updated my external SD card.
Transfered all the information from the old one to the new one, VIA Windows PC.

Seems like all went fine until I went to one program I thought was installed PPSSPP
Seeing as it wasnt showing up now I tried re-installing it.
Now with the play store it says after downloading that the app
Could not be installed on USB storage or SD card.

Looking at troubleshooting here is what I did so far.
I did look for the file smdl2tmp1 and did not find it anywhere.
Unmounted the SD and rebooted , install of PPSSPP and says same error.
Removed SD and booted , still same error on install.
Dirty Flash Rom.
loaded Rom Toolbox lite and changed app2sd location.
Same error on everything I tried.
The only thing I can come up with is that there is a file that is causing problems that I cannot find where it is.

Any suggestions without doing a full flash and reinstall?

HTC EVO 4g LTE
Carbon Rom 4.4.1

Any thing to help is greatly appreciated

Update tried downloading and installing another app and getting same error , on something that I never installed before.

Update 2. Wiped SD internal and external , did not work. Same error
A few updates since last posting.
Amazon app store will not install any of the apps from the cloud.
Titantium Backup hangs up on installing backed up Apps.
Play store says incuffecent room on a few of the app updates, some of them go fine.
 
izzylaif
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jun 2014

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracet View Post
A few updates since last posting.
Amazon app store will not install any of the apps from the cloud.
Titantium Backup hangs up on installing backed up Apps.
Play store says incuffecent room on a few of the app updates, some of them go fine.
are you sure the SD card is not fake? for years now, ebay fradulent sellers peddle 4gb cards with a 32gb filesystem. After going over 4gb, the files are just copied to dev/null, but their names are still present in the allocation table

so plug your card to a computer and check it with any flashdrive utility
 
banjara
Old
#4  
banjara's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 113
Posts: 405
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
If you are unable to write in the external sdcard using a file manager too then - back up external card's data, connect to windows pc in usb mass storage mode and format it in fat32 format.
It should fix the issue.
Galaxy S2
ROM: NeatRom Lite 4.1.2
 
eracet
Old
(Last edited by eracet; 19th June 2014 at 02:18 AM.)
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 90
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjara View Post
If you are unable to write in the external sdcard using a file manager too then - back up external card's data, connect to windows pc in usb mass storage mode and format it in fat32 format.
It should fix the issue.
This happened with the origional 32 GB card, then I did put a FAT32 64 GB card in the phone. Moved data over to new card.
It reads in windows fine. and both are fat 32.
Also tried installing without card installed and gave same error.

Titanium backup files will not reload, and even some amazon ones wont, but updates do most of the time.
Another thing I noticed is that my internal is GB for apps, that has about 300 MB left. I think this may have something to do with it so moved data over to SD.

Just tested about 3 restarts and finally went with a paid app, Tried changing default install to auto , internal and SD. didtn really make a difference.
VIA Rom Toolbox
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes