Originally Posted by Algo2
I used the towelroot method and it seems to have gotten my phone rooted. A basic root checker confirms it. I installed SuperSU and when I open it, the app says the binaries need to be updated, however it fails to do that when I click "normal". I also installed the Wireless Tether for Root Users app (play version and the v3.2 beta when that wasnt' working). I've tried various configurations to no avail. It pops up asking for root access from SuperSU which I grant. When I start the tethering it says there are errors and to check the log file, however when I click on "show log" it says "unable to find log-file. File does not exist". I've also tried Barnacle WiFi tethering and it doesn't work either.
Any advice is appreciated.
The version of SuperSU on the playstore is outdated, you have to do the folowing:
5. Download http://download.chainfire.eu/448/Sup...SU-v1.99r5.zip
6. Use ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
or other unzipers and unzip the file
7. Open the /common folder in the unzipped file, and copy the SuperUser.apk to the /system/app/ folder in the root of the phone, confirm any SuperUser Access requests at this point.
You can also use the safestrap method:
Note: SafeStrap doesn't work with encryption turned on (disabled by default). If you don't know if you don't have encryption on/your phone isn't a business phone (in which case you shouldn't be doing this!!!) then you most likely don't have encryption on!!
5. Use this app to change your SELinux mode to "Permissive" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mrbimc.selinux
, this is required to use SafeStrap
6. Install SafeStrap 3.72 APK from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448925
, NOT 3.71 FROM THE VERIZON THREAD!!! Then click install in the SafeStrap App
7. Flash http://download.chainfire.eu/448/Sup...SU-v1.99r5.zip
, this step is NOT OPTIONAL, without this file, your SU Binaries will not update!!! (This is important!)
Credits to @npjohnson