Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 39,267 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Six Guns + Shield

Tip us?

CobraCommanderp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Six Guns + Shield

Hey sorry if I'm doing this wrong I'm not much of a forum dweller..

I just purchased an nVidia Shield, it has already been upgraded (or downgraded) to 4.4.2. It is not rooted. I really like it so far however I am trying to get Six Guns working, currently with vanilla Play Store it is not available for this device.

I got it working just fine on my rooted Galaxy S3, as well as Battlefield Commander, using the guidance of the XDA thread, market helper and xposed.

I've been searching high and low and all I can find are directions for rooted devices. I am on an extended vacation (will be here for another 3 months) so rooting is not an option unless it can be done without a PC.

I am also not a fan of cracked/blackmarket .apk's. Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Again I apologize if I've missed a thread explaining this, not easy when I don't have a PC in front of me. Cheers!

devilsmack
Old
Thanks Meter 23
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53459895
Shield can be rooted with an apk. Just download and run it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to devilsmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CobraCommanderp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Yaa? Well that's superb, thank you,, I'm used to doing everything the manual way, are you certain it will work? Has anyone else given it a go?

devilsmack
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I used it on my att Galaxy Note 3 and it worked so I tried it on my shield. It takes longer than the 15 secs it says to wait so after pushing the button in the app just let it sit until it reboots. After reboot install the SuperSU in from my thread then run it to update the binaries. You shouldn't have a problem. I was also able to unroot my note 3 easily from within the SuperSU app. Also this method doesn't wipe your data so that's a big plus for me. I've been wanting to root but didn't want to wipe my data.

The Following User Says Thank You to devilsmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CobraCommanderp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Awesome I'll definitely give it a try, just sort of waiting for one more person to share their experience with this method.

I was never worried about brick'ing in my s3 as I can easily get that sorted. The Shield is one of those niche products though, I'm not even sure how I could recover it if something went wrong.

Out of curiosity did you update to 4.4.2 or did you stick with 4.3?

Thanks again you've been a great help! E>

devilsmack
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommanderp View Post
Awesome I'll definitely give it a try, just sort of waiting for one more person to share their experience with this method.

I was never worried about brick'ing in my s3 as I can easily get that sorted. The Shield is one of those niche products though, I'm not even sure how I could recover it if something went wrong.

Out of curiosity did you update to 4.4.2 or did you stick with 4.3?

Thanks again you've been a great help! E>
I'm on 4.4.2. If your worried about bricking I would start looking at and getting familiar with the restore process just in case, but it pretty straight forward. Go to the ATT Note 3 forum. They've been using this apk to root so you can see if there has been any ill effect of using it. Glad I could help.