FORUMS

Which IO Announcement Are You Most Excited About?

The keynote we had all been waiting for has just ended and it’s time to enjoy … more

Google Launches Google Photos At I/O 2015 Keynote

While rumors have been floating around for a while, the Google I/O 2015 has made … more

Google Now Marches Forward with ‘Now on Tap’

When Google Now was announced three years ago, it revolutionized the mobile … more

I/O 2015: Google Announces App Link Enhancements

During the Google I/O Keynote, VP of Engineering Dave Burke announced that the Android … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Nook Weather Display and Google Calendar Planned

12th June 2014, 06:41 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
A while back I read:

http://hackaday.com/2013/04/01/kindl...cling-display/

This article inspired me to try the same thing with my Nook Simple Touch, I setup the server side script pretty much the as:
http://www.shatteredhaven.com/2012/1...r-display.html

I added SSH and set the script to run every 5 minutes using as a cron job. I rooted the nook and installed "Nook Touch Mod Manager" and set it to "Hide screensaver banner" under "configure mod options". I also installed BotSync to pull the updated file every 5 minutes. the end result is in the attached photo.



I am hoping to modify the server script to generate the top half the same but the bottom area first 2/3's (Friday/Saturday) will list my Google Calender events as a list, the last 1/3 will be a current weather status for outside where the sunny/cloud icon is under Sunday, and the middle will be the rooms temperature (pulled from a network temperature sensor. The bottom will be a trash remoinder.
 
 
12th June 2014, 04:14 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
So....is this the screensaver?! Looks really nifty.
16th June 2014, 02:53 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 210
 
More
What about doing this directly on the Nook? It would be really great, bus AFAIK no PHP for the droid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop

A while back I read:

http://hackaday.com/2013/04/01/kindl...cling-display/

This article inspired me to try the same thing with my Nook Simple Touch, I setup the server side script pretty much the as:
http://www.shatteredhaven.com/2012/1...r-display.html

I added SSH and set the script to run every 5 minutes using as a cron job. I rooted the nook and installed "Nook Touch Mod Manager" and set it to "Hide screensaver banner" under "configure mod options". I also installed BotSync to pull the updated file every 5 minutes. the end result is in the attached photo.



I am hoping to modify the server script to generate the top half the same but the bottom area first 2/3's (Friday/Saturday) will list my Google Calender events as a list, the last 1/3 will be a current weather status for outside where the sunny/cloud icon is under Sunday, and the middle will be the rooms temperature (pulled from a network temperature sensor. The bottom will be a trash remoinder.

17th June 2014, 11:15 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 210
 
More
I did a bit of research, and even if PHP is not available for the droid, python is, with QPython (it runs even on 2.1). I'll do some tests later (maybe next month, I'm pretty busy until then) based on this:

https://github.com/pjimenezmateo/kindle-wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anghelyi

What about doing this directly on the Nook? It would be really great, bus AFAIK no PHP for the droid...

Last edited by anghelyi; 17th June 2014 at 11:43 AM.
17th June 2014, 12:12 PM |#5  
Renate NST's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 860
 
More
You could always just use the default choice for Android apps: Java.
17th June 2014, 02:18 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 210
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST

You could always just use the default choice for Android apps: Java.

I could, but I'm not a developer. I'm more comfortable tinkering with scripts, and the original solution is just a few scripts so...
19th June 2014, 04:34 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

So....is this the screensaver?! Looks really nifty.

Yes it is, I set it as the screensaver by saving the generated image to the default folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anghelyi

I did a bit of research, and even if PHP is not available for the droid, python is, with QPython (it runs even on 2.1). I'll do some tests later (maybe next month, I'm pretty busy until then) based on this:
You could easily write a script, or with a little work a app for android but that would have to run on the E-Ink device and I want to keep the battery life as it's best.

https://github.com/pjimenezmateo/kindle-wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST

You could always just use the default choice for Android apps: Java.

But that would be more work then necessary besides it would lower battery life.


I forgot to mention, my SSH file pulling method might not be the most stable, it sometimes doesn't update for hours. It seems it goes into standby when the screen is locked. Probably a Rom issue.
Last edited by MrBishop; 19th June 2014 at 04:49 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nook Touch General by ThreadRank