Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,409 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lag/Stutter on my NEW M8?!?!

Tip us?

Quadrider10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
welp. looks like ill be doing a return today... thats a shame..

they BETTER give me a NEW one and not some refurbished one.

sfreemanoh
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
I know it shouldn't lol. I restored and set everything up again. See how it goes. And idea on the Google chrome issue?
I don't know if you can copy bookmarks through Chrome on your phone. Just do it from your desktop.

Quadrider10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh View Post
I don't know if you can copy bookmarks through Chrome on your phone. Just do it from your desktop.
ya just figured it out lol thanks!

i was thinking the stutter may have been from play services... but it fully up to date.

ShivaSmith
Old
(Last edited by ShivaSmith; 29th May 2014 at 07:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evocm7 View Post
This phone should not stutter at all. It should fly through everything. If factory reset doesn't fix it, return it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
I have an M8 that at first was super fast pretty much at all times.

I installed Next Launcher on it, and it was still fast, for at least a few weeks I think.

But now I regularly get nasty lag when using that launcher (tapping on home or whatever, even other app's).. lag on the order of even 1-4 seconds before an action takes place… not acceptable at all.

I saw a post somewhere about modifying a build.prop option to "always keep launcher in memory" or something like that. I believe the post said that the launcher may get unloaded from memory at times by Android if other memory intensive app's are running.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered similar lag from a launcher like Next Launcher… or other lag just appearing over time.

If I do a restart, lag will go away for a bit, but then return… I think it's when the Launcher is loaded, and resident in memory, that lag goes away for a bit.

I didn't want to have to root just to modify build.prop, but I guess I may have to…

Thanks for any ideas…

p.s.

I have the AT&T HTC One M8… but I doubt that would matter for this issue.

ShivaSmith
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Fixed]

Checking "System persistent" under "Performance Settings" seems to have fixed most lag on Next Launcher for me.

I also checked "Hyper Fluency" which may also help.

Nice that this option was possible so I didn't have to root just to keep the Launcher fluid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaSmith View Post
I have an M8 that at first was super fast pretty much at all times.

I installed Next Launcher on it, and it was still fast, for at least a few weeks I think.

But now I regularly get nasty lag when using that launcher (tapping on home or whatever, even other app's).. lag on the order of even 1-4 seconds before an action takes place… not acceptable at all.

I saw a post somewhere about modifying a build.prop option to "always keep launcher in memory" or something like that. I believe the post said that the launcher may get unloaded from memory at times by Android if other memory intensive app's are running.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered similar lag from a launcher like Next Launcher… or other lag just appearing over time.

If I do a restart, lag will go away for a bit, but then return… I think it's when the Launcher is loaded, and resident in memory, that lag goes away for a bit.

I didn't want to have to root just to modify build.prop, but I guess I may have to…

Thanks for any ideas…

p.s.

I have the AT&T HTC One M8… but I doubt that would matter for this issue.

hwocp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evocm7 View Post
This phone should not stutter at all. It should fly through everything. If factory reset doesn't fix it, return it
Not necessarily. I've used more than 10 different Android devices, including the HTC One M8, and every one of them stuttered to some degree, usually once every 2 or 3 seconds while watching YouTube or Netflix, playing games, etc. It has nothing to do with network speed or a device defect. But if it's really freezing for half a second, that's a different story.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207 View Post
Ya something is definitely wrong. The M8 does not stutter or lag one bit, ever
Yes, it does. You're just not sensitive enough to notice.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwocp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

faraband
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
I am having similar issue. Got the phone a few weeks ago, and have been getting used to it. First off, the battery life is not what people made it out to be, unless mine is faulty...
Getting to the point though, in the notification bar, if there is more than 2 notifications at the same time, say an email, a chat, and a text, when I unlock the phone, the entire top notification bar "flashes" in a stuttery manner... and until i remove the notifications it continues to do this. I attempted factory reset but had no success.. Any advice?
LG P880 4X HD
ROMs: MOKEE 4.4
Kernel: MOKEE / iodak