Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

[Q] Fastboot Brick (CM11 v.12)

OP steve281188

17th June 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidhalevi

Last try.
Take out battery, press home/volume-down/power, replacing battery. Or variations of this scheme.

is this the recovery combination? I tried but I'll try again.

Quote:

I flashed that image from adb shell: flash_image recover /sdcard/....img.

where I was wrong?

Quote:

There is also a normal zipped version that can be flashed from whatever recovery you have up, but not recommended.

are you talking about flashing a recovery with a recovery? why it's not recommended?

Quote:

Using the adb method, if it fails, one can IMMEDIATELY flash an img that is known to work and not be bricked!

sorry, I don't understand this part.
17th June 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 989

2,064 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve281188

is this the recovery combination? I tried but I'll try again.

Yes, but more physical action. Sometimes manipulating the battery can get back into recovery. Cost nothing to try.

Quote:

are you talking about flashing a recovery with a recovery? why it's not recommended? ...
sorry, I don't understand this part.

If the flash that recovery zip (overwriting the current one) and this fails. Brick.
If I am alive in adb and I flash_image the recovery .img and it fails, I now have no valid recovery but am still alive, and can then flash_image another that is known to succeed..

Problem is that our phones are restricted to a 5 meg recovery section. The dev worked hard to get the new CWM small enough (taking out some functionality such as partioning sdcards to do so), but it is right on the line. On some phones, unluckily maybe yours, it doesn't quite fit on. There is also a new TWRP recovery around, same restriction but maybe would be OK.
18th June 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:

Yes, but more physical action. Sometimes manipulating the battery can get back into recovery. Cost nothing to try.

If the flash that recovery zip (overwriting the current one) and this fails. Brick.
If I am alive in adb and I flash_image the recovery .img and it fails, I now have no valid recovery but am still alive, and can then flash_image another that is known to succeed..

Problem is that our phones are restricted to a 5 meg recovery section. The dev worked hard to get the new CWM small enough (taking out some functionality such as partioning sdcards to do so), but it is right on the line. On some phones, unluckily maybe yours, it doesn't quite fit on. There is also a new TWRP recovery around, same restriction but maybe would be OK.

I flashed the recovery that bricked the phone exactly through fastboot shell with the command above. So where I was wrong?
Is it possible I've "bricked" fastboot mode too? Or I can't enter fastboot anymore just because my back button is faulty?

thanks!!!
18th June 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 989

2,064 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve281188

I flashed the recovery that bricked the phone exactly through fastboot shell with the command above. So where I was wrong?
Is it possible I've "bricked" fastboot mode too? Or I can't enter fastboot anymore just because my back button is faulty?

thanks!!!

I have never succeded in getting fastboot from my PC. Did it in an adb shell session (which means android or recovery was alive and kicking).

What messages did you see on the flash_image? Any error? Did it fit?

From the adb shell, if the flash_image fails, I can flash another img which I know is OK (must have that around on the sdcard). Then, no harm done. Otherwise, it is possible that the flash over-wrote the existing recovery, but failed. Thar's the problem.
19th June 2014, 09:54 AM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
recovery
When I flashed recovery from fastboot shell, everything was ok and no errors showed up.
From that moment, screen is always black.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread