FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Rotted One OTA Update Risks

18th June 2014, 02:53 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi all,

i'm a total noob in the htc world, i tried digging around in the forum but didn't find the answer to my doubts.

I've an italian (totally unlocked) rooted M7 with STOCK (no carrier personalisation) ROM, running:

- Android 4.4.2
- Sense 5.5
- Software Number 4.19.401.11
- Kernel 3.4.10-g7fe1bad root@abm012 #1
- Baseband 4A.25.3263.21_10.38x.1157.04L
- Build Number 4.19.401.11 CL304164 release-keys
- Custom TWRP Recovery & Unlocked Bootloader

I just received the sticky notification telling me to OTA update to Sense 6 ( Update # 5.11.401.10). My question is: what happens if i OTA update my One? Will it soft/hard brick? How do i manage to safely install the update? If there isn't a way to install it is there a way to flash some features of it singulatim?

Thank you all in advance.

PS: if the answer is NO to all my questions, how the hell do i remove that annoying notification from my not panel?
 
 
18th June 2014, 05:06 PM |#2  
majmoz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 404
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCorbellino

Hi all,

i'm a total noob in the htc world, i tried digging around in the forum but didn't find the answer to my doubts.

I've an italian (totally unlocked) rooted M7 with STOCK (no carrier personalisation) ROM, running:

- Android 4.4.2
- Sense 5.5
- Software Number 4.19.401.11
- Kernel 3.4.10-g7fe1bad root@abm012 #1
- Baseband 4A.25.3263.21_10.38x.1157.04L
- Build Number 4.19.401.11 CL304164 release-keys
- Custom TWRP Recovery & Unlocked Bootloader

I just received the sticky notification telling me to OTA update to Sense 6 ( Update # 5.11.401.10). My question is: what happens if i OTA update my One? Will it soft/hard brick? How do i manage to safely install the update? If there isn't a way to install it is there a way to flash some features of it singulatim?

Thank you all in advance.

PS: if the answer is NO to all my questions, how the hell do i remove that annoying notification from my not panel?

You need a stock recovery and locked bootloader to run the OTA. You can get it from this thread [Collection][GUIDE] HTC One Stock Recoveries. Find your stock recovery from the list, download it and follow the instructions in the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2014, 08:15 PM |#3  
yatindroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 545
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

You need a stock recovery and locked bootloader to run the OTA. You can get it from this thread [Collection][GUIDE] HTC One Stock Recoveries. Find your stock recovery from the list, download it and follow the instructions in the OP.

not needed locked boot loader
Stock recovery
Unmodified stock Rom
Unlocking process delete some stock apps installed at data/preload apps that interfering with OTA SO you need restore them

from HTC One
The Following User Says Thank You to yatindroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 09:07 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Just flashed stock recovery (cid Hct__012) w/ preload files at their place (storage/emulated/data right?):
got the red triangle @ half the process

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th June 2014, 09:40 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
is this right or should i install the apks in the /preload directory before OTA?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th June 2014, 09:51 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
installed /preload apps, no success...

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
19th June 2014, 11:17 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatindroid

not needed locked boot loader
Stock recovery
Unmodified stock Rom
Unlocking process delete some stock apps installed at data/preload apps that interfering with OTA SO you need restore them

from HTC One

Entered Bootloop after few trials, factory reset via fastboot, tried again from TOTALLY STOCK rom, failed again. I begin thinking the problem is either the locked boot loader or root itself!
19th June 2014, 11:28 AM |#8  
yatindroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 545
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCorbellino

installed /preload apps, no success...

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

here see pics

from HTC One
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403173701926.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2806602  
The Following User Says Thank You to yatindroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 02:30 PM |#9  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,908
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCorbellino

installed /preload apps, no success...

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

are you sure the /preload apps are the one specifically from your version (4.19.401.11) ?
also set permission correctly to all these files (-rw-r--r--)

well, all file patched by the ota are MD5 checked by the updater script, if any file have unexpected content (file was modified or missing), the update installation will abort and you'll see that red triangle with the exclamation mark.

like yatindroid said, unlcoked bootloader doesnt matter.

you need stock recovery from the 4.19.401.11 version
all files to be patched must be 100% stock (from 4.19.401.11)
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 05:28 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

are you sure the /preload apps are the one specifically from your version (4.19.401.11) ?
also set permission correctly to all these files (-rw-r--r--)

well, all file patched by the ota are MD5 checked by the updater script, if any file have unexpected content (file was modified or missing), the update installation will abort and you'll see that red triangle with the exclamation mark.

like yatindroid said, unlcoked bootloader doesnt matter.

you need stock recovery from the 4.19.401.11 version
all files to be patched must be 100% stock (from 4.19.401.11)

Ended up flashing Cyanogenmod, ahah. Thank you all for your help!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes