Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 50,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Selinux status

Tip us?

VICIOUSVIC1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Default Selinux status

Does it matter what this is set to? Never really paid attention till I needed to change to set safe strap on wife's s4 so now am just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1683
I am not an Android tech expert. But, remember reading about it awhile back. It now has an enforced mode instead of just the permissive. Not sure if that just started in KitKat or not. In layman terms, I think it just does a better job at keeping apps from getting unwanted root access. I don't know if that means some apps may not work right. As far as needing to set it to one or the other, not sure. If you got a nandroid, you can always try it out--
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 588

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICIOUSVIC1 View Post
Does it matter what this is set to? Never really paid attention till I needed to change to set safe strap on wife's s4 so now am just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
As he said above me, just basically does a better job of keeping root apps out. For example, on the new NC1 update we got root with towelroot and Root Checker saw it, but we couldn't install Safestrap with SELinux on Enforcing. So it's just extra security from modifications, which of course gets in the way of intentional root mods.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)