FORUMS

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

[Q] [NOOB] Instaling a kernel ...

446 posts
Thanks Meter: 166
 
By BruKnowsBest, Senior Member on 19th June 2014, 08:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am a complete noob to rooting and all this good stuff

but i have been working hard to learn the basics, this week i did my first bootloader unlock and rooting on my NEXUS 7 (2013)

what i don't know is what to look for on a kernel and how to instal it, can someone show me a good learning Thread or if you'd like to explain to me how to do it ?


I know what it is and know what it does, just don't know how to push the new kernel and installing it... sorry about the noob thread but i really wanna learn all this
Last edited by BruKnowsBest; 19th June 2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to check "Is this thread a question"
 
 
19th June 2014, 09:32 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,323
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunolarogian

I am a complete noob to rooting and all this good stuff

but i have been working hard to learn the basics, this week i did my first bootloader unlock and rooting on my NEXUS 7 (2013)

what i don't know is what to look for on a kernel and how to instal it, can someone show me a good learning Thread or if you'd like to explain to me how to do it ?


I know what it is and know what it does, just don't know how to push the new kernel and installing it... sorry about the noob thread but i really wanna learn all this

Kernel is boot.img. You can push the img with fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img), or get Flashify from the play store.

If you plan on trying different kernels, it is recommended to flash the stock kernel, reboot, then flash the new custom kernel. It has something to do with some custom kernels using a custom ram disk. Not sure on the specifics, exactly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 09:54 PM |#3  
BruKnowsBest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag The Future
Thanks Meter: 166
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

Kernel is boot.img. You can push the img with fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img), or get Flashify from the play store.

If you plan on trying different kernels, it is recommended to flash the stock kernel, reboot, then flash the new custom kernel. It has something to do with some custom kernels using a custom ram disk. Not sure on the specifics, exactly.

do i need to start over ? i already rooted and installed the custom rom
19th June 2014, 09:54 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,323
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunolarogian

do i need to start over ? i already rooted and installed the custom rom

No.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 10:11 PM |#5  
BruKnowsBest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag The Future
Thanks Meter: 166
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

No.

Awesome, thank you very much, do you have any kernel suggestions?
19th June 2014, 10:51 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,323
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunolarogian

Awesome, thank you very much, do you have any kernel suggestions?

Is there something wrong with the stock kernel?
19th June 2014, 11:35 PM |#7  
BruKnowsBest's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag The Future
Thanks Meter: 166
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

Is there something wrong with the stock kernel?

not sure, I installed a nightly version of CARBON rom and I don't know if the bugs i've been having are from the kernel or rom
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes