Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 44,410 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I think I rooted....

Tip us?

scholls22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] I think I rooted....

First time Android user. I jailbroke several iphones in the past but just learning about rooting. I just did the towelroot, now what????
What is cyanogenmod? Do I need it?

Thanks for everyone who helps out!

killyass
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Download rom manager from play store and use it to flash a custom recovery.. It should be simple
After that you can flash cyanogenmod which is a ROM that changes your phones interface to almost stock android with some added features

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to killyass For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scholls22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by killyass View Post
Download rom manager from play store and use it to flash a custom recovery.. It should be simple
After that you can flash cyanogenmod which is a ROM that changes your phones interface to almost stock android with some added features

Thanks for the quick reply!!! I downloaded that and the first thing was a recovery setup. It said I needed to install clockworkmod Recovery. I attempted to do that but it said my phone is not supported..

killyass
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Welcome! What phone do you have?

scholls22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by killyass View Post
Welcome! What phone do you have?

Galaxy s5 on ATT

killyass
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
Galaxy s5 on ATT
oh right cwm doesn't support S5 yet. anyway there's another recovery other than cwm you can use which is twrp.. download goomanager from playstore and use it the same way to install twrp

johan81
Old
Thanks Meter 51
As far as I know the ATT S5 has a locked boot loader and hence cannot use custom recoveries or ROMs. For now you are stuck with the ROM you have. You are able to modify your ROM now though.

Sincci
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22 View Post
First time Android user. I jailbroke several iphones in the past but just learning about rooting. I just did the towelroot, now what????
What is cyanogenmod? Do I need it?

Thanks for everyone who helps out!
Two things you should consider..
First of all, if you install a custom kernel/recovery, it will void your warranty (this is called as tripping the KNOX flag). Currently, this is something that you cannot fix by yourself and if your phone breaks Samsung may or may not fix it. But that doesn't actually matter since your phone is on ATT and that one is bootloader locked anyway (which means that currently you cannot flash that recovery anyway).

Second thing is that currently CM11 is pretty broken and some features like GPS and Camera aren't working. It will take some time before people manage to iron out all the bugs and even then it might not be perfect.

My advice is that you should first try to get familiar with the phone and then start thinking about modifying it since you aren't used to Android phones. While rooting might give you some functionality you normally wouldn't have, it's not really something that you'll absolutely need. Even out of the box Android is still way more capable and customizable than iOS and most of that stuff doesn't need rooting.