Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

[Q] I think I rooted....

OP scholls22

19th June 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
First time Android user. I jailbroke several iphones in the past but just learning about rooting. I just did the towelroot, now what????
What is cyanogenmod? Do I need it?

Thanks for everyone who helps out!
19th June 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
Download rom manager from play store and use it to flash a custom recovery.. It should be simple
After that you can flash cyanogenmod which is a ROM that changes your phones interface to almost stock android with some added features

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to killyass For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 04:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killyass

Download rom manager from play store and use it to flash a custom recovery.. It should be simple
After that you can flash cyanogenmod which is a ROM that changes your phones interface to almost stock android with some added features

Thanks for the quick reply!!! I downloaded that and the first thing was a recovery setup. It said I needed to install clockworkmod Recovery. I attempted to do that but it said my phone is not supported..
19th June 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #4  

26 posts
Welcome! What phone do you have?

19th June 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killyass

Welcome! What phone do you have?

Galaxy s5 on ATT
19th June 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #6  

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22

Galaxy s5 on ATT

oh right cwm doesn't support S5 yet. anyway there's another recovery other than cwm you can use which is twrp.. download goomanager from playstore and use it the same way to install twrp

19th June 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 59

357 posts
More
As far as I know the ATT S5 has a locked boot loader and hence cannot use custom recoveries or ROMs. For now you are stuck with the ROM you have. You are able to modify your ROM now though.
19th June 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 67

86 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholls22

First time Android user. I jailbroke several iphones in the past but just learning about rooting. I just did the towelroot, now what????
What is cyanogenmod? Do I need it?

Thanks for everyone who helps out!

Two things you should consider..
First of all, if you install a custom kernel/recovery, it will void your warranty (this is called as tripping the KNOX flag). Currently, this is something that you cannot fix by yourself and if your phone breaks Samsung may or may not fix it. But that doesn't actually matter since your phone is on ATT and that one is bootloader locked anyway (which means that currently you cannot flash that recovery anyway).

Second thing is that currently CM11 is pretty broken and some features like GPS and Camera aren't working. It will take some time before people manage to iron out all the bugs and even then it might not be perfect.

My advice is that you should first try to get familiar with the phone and then start thinking about modifying it since you aren't used to Android phones. While rooting might give you some functionality you normally wouldn't have, it's not really something that you'll absolutely need. Even out of the box Android is still way more capable and customizable than iOS and most of that stuff doesn't need rooting.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread