Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 44,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help - screen discoloration-SOLVED

Tip us?

sdcaliber
Old
(Last edited by sdcaliber; 20th June 2014 at 12:26 AM.) Reason: SOLVED
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help - screen discoloration-SOLVED

today, i saw my lg g2 screen discolored, as there is an interference of the green color and purple. when i take a screenshot of the phone, the picture shows there is nothing wrong. possible somethgin wrong with digitizer, i don't know. it is better show on the picture. i took a picture of the screen with another phone, and a screenshot also. it was dropped early on today, from a couch onto the carpet, not a huge drop. i checked it immediately and it was fine. hours later i saw the discoloration, and like i stated, the screenshot shows a normal screen (ruling out GPU problem), two of the pictures are the screenshot normal screen

what should i do? how to fix it? what have caused it?

Additional information: when i stop using the phone for a while, the color return to normal. after i used it for couple of minutes 5-10 minutes, the issue return and the screen gets more purple as time of use increases
performed Hard reset, reinstall ROM and kernel, issue persisted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	2796794   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	2796795   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2796796   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	2796797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-13-20-27-05.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	2796798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-13-20-27-46.png
Views:	71
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	2796799  

chemotkbilo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Would you elaborate more, as I am confused by your question. Add more details such as Custom ROM if any and kernel. Have you restored it to stock ROM using kdz or tot method?
Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to chemotkbilo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sdcaliber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemotkbilo View Post
Would you elaborate more, as I am confused by your question. Add more details such as Custom ROM if any and kernel. Have you restored it to stock ROM using kdz or tot method?
Stock Custom Rom Cloudypro II 2.2, kernel cloudy linaro
i restored it using tot, and the problem still persisted it.

in summary, here is the behavior of the phone

purpleish hue when the screen is on and is most noticeable on black/very dark backgrounds. becomes more and more noticeable when the brightness goes up. screen colors return to normal when i let it sleep, but the purplish hue return after use

chemotkbilo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have a feeling it is the digitizer ribbon cable has become loose of some sort. From your description of what I understand the change in hue is not constant nor permanent but occurs and shift to purple with use.

I am ruling out GPU, simply because you have stated that the colors are normal when you wake up the phone.
Use the following dial code and perform full test including display test. 3845#*800#
If that did not help, then I suggest the following

Proceed with caution and only attempt it if you have prior experience. If in doubt , follow a YouTube video accordingly.
Disassemble the phone and unplug the screen cable and look for any bent or cuts, also remove/unplug the battery and replug it back in. Assemble everything and reboot the phone.

If that did not work, I am not sure what would be the problem.
I hope someone from the forum will be able to aid you if none of the methods worked

The Following User Says Thank You to chemotkbilo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sdcaliber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default it effects the white and black background only

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemotkbilo View Post
I have a feeling it is the digitizer ribbon cable has become loose of some sort. From your description of what I understand the change in hue is not constant nor permanent but occurs and shift to purple with use.

I am ruling out GPU, simply because you have stated that the colors are normal when you wake up the phone.
Use the following dial code and perform full test including display test. 3845#*800#
If that did not help, then I suggest the following

Proceed with caution and only attempt it if you have prior experience. If in doubt , follow a YouTube video accordingly.
Disassemble the phone and unplug the screen cable and look for any bent or cuts, also remove/unplug the battery and replug it back in. Assemble everything and reboot the phone.

If that did not work, I am not sure what would be the problem.
I hope someone from the forum will be able to aid you if none of the methods worked

thank you for your help, i have tried all your suggestions, and the issue persists. performed GPU test and it is fine, i tore it down and checked the cables, nothing out of ordinary. i unplugged the display ribbon cable and replugged it back in. i even restored the phone to stock

thank you. i have looked everywhere and asked, and no one seems to know what is wrong. the phone is usable, but the purple hue is kind of annoying. it only shows up on a black or white background, mostly on black background and intensify with use. but disappears when the phone is cold, or have just woken up for use.

sdcaliber
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SOLVED

i found the culprit, and i thought i ought to post a solution despite me been the OP

i have done mainly too things, either one of them was most likely the culprit. i disassembled the device all the way down to the screen. i used hair dryer, to separate the screen from the main body. i checked the connections and i straightened any possible bent within the ribbon cable. i proceeded with separating multiple sheets at the back of the screen and cleaning them (sheets that include the reflector etc). after i have done that, i put the phone back together. Finally, ta da, the phone is screen is back to normal.

the washed out screen behavior (purple and green lines) is due to either loose connections that need to be reseated propely on the motherboard, or the multiple sheets on the back of the screen was misaligned due to the drop.