Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 38,537 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to know if the phone is Defy+?

Tip us?

Horinius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] How to know if the phone is Defy+?

Hello,

I wanted to install CyanogenMod in my Defy. So I was following this page (beta. download. cyanogenmod.org/install) but when I tried to install the OneClick.apk, I keep on having the "Parse error. There is a problem parsing the package."

In case you ask me if I have enabled installing from "unknown sources", the answer is Yes. It's here:
Settings > Applications > Unknown sources

So I'm wondering.... is my Defy a real Defy? Or is it a Defy+ for European market but called Defy? Oh yeah, I'm in Europe and I've heard that some vendors would modify some models for European markets but call them differently.

So, how to tell if my phone is a Defy+?

Here are the infos from Settings:
System version: Version.34.164.3.MB525Blur.Vodafone.en.FR
Model number: MB525
Android version: 2.2.2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g050ccf2

And of course, if somebody can tell me how to install CyanogenMod in my phone, I'd appreciate a lot.

Thanks.

thekguy
Old
Thanks Meter 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horinius View Post
Hello,

I wanted to install CyanogenMod in my Defy. So I was following this page (beta. download. cyanogenmod.org/install) but when I tried to install the OneClick.apk, I keep on having the "Parse error. There is a problem parsing the package."

In case you ask me if I have enabled installing from "unknown sources", the answer is Yes. It's here:
Settings > Applications > Unknown sources

So I'm wondering.... is my Defy a real Defy? Or is it a Defy+ for European market but called Defy? Oh yeah, I'm in Europe and I've heard that some vendors would modify some models for European markets but call them differently.

So, how to tell if my phone is a Defy+?

Here are the infos from Settings:
System version: Version.34.164.3.MB525Blur.Vodafone.en.FR
Model number: MB525
Android version: 2.2.2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g050ccf2

And of course, if somebody can tell me how to install CyanogenMod in my phone, I'd appreciate a lot.

Thanks.
MB525 = Defy

To install cyanogenmod, you have to:

Root the phone(search for framaroot)

Install 2ndinit apk(search Google)

Open app and install bootmenu

Search for this file:defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0.zip and download it to the device

Flash the above file via CWM, acessible via the bootmenu (press volume down while a blue led lgihts up, while phone boots up)

Download and flash cyanogenmod from the thread in the dev section. Be sure to wipe data, system and cache from TWRP.
+-+-+-+ -+-+-+ +-+- + +-+-+- + -+-+-+-+-+-+-
| C | M | 1 | 1 | . | 0 | | b | y | | Q | u | a | r | x |
+-+-+-+- +-+-+ +-+- + +-+-+- +- +-+-+-+-+-+-

Don't forget to click the thanks button if I helped you

Horinius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the reply.

So I suppose the OneClick.apk is supposed to root the phone but I can do it otherwisely.

What are CWM and TWRP?

vlado3399
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Read All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide before flashing. You will understand a lot of things.
Motorola Defy+ (BL7)
ROM:Stock 2.3.6(4.5.1-134_DFP-2312), DeBlured and V6SuperCharged
HTC HD2--->SOLD
When they will made a perfect device?Let Motorola choose the materials,Sharp or LG make display,HTC make design and UI,Sony make multimedia,Samsung make...nothing,and all this will given for assembling again to Motorola.For me this will be the perfect device!
Sounds like perfect device i mentioned above will be released soon. Look here.

If my post helped you, click the "Thanks" button.

Horinius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlado3399 View Post
Read All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide before flashing. You will understand a lot of things.
I had. Not only had I read this "beginner's guide" before coming here, I had also read others like
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853672
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2095264
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

But they are not really clear. Esp the so-called "beginner's guide". Inside it, there are a lot of abbreviations that I have no idea what they are:
  • I later gathered that CWM means Clockwork Mod, but what is MIUI? Multiple I(?) User Interface?
  • What is "to brick"? Isn't it rather "to break"?
  • What is BL7? That's where I stopped because according to the guide, rooting depends on BL7 or not. As I have no idea what it is, I'm stuck.

Some guides talk about One Click, others on eFuse. So confusing.

DiegoxG
Old
(Last edited by DiegoxG; 19th June 2014 at 02:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horinius View Post
I had. Not only had I read this "beginner's guide" before coming here, I had also read others like
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853672
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2095264
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

But they are not really clear. Esp the so-called "beginner's guide". Inside it, there are a lot of abbreviations that I have no idea what they are:
  • I later gathered that CWM means Clockwork Mod, but what is MIUI? Multiple I(?) User Interface?
  • What is "to brick"? Isn't it rather "to break"?
  • What is BL7? That's where I stopped because according to the guide, rooting depends on BL7 or not. As I have no idea what it is, I'm stuck.

Some guides talk about One Click, others on eFuse. So confusing.
MIUI Is the ROM project of Xiaomi, it's just a ROM

This is a brick
http://bodyshapestyle.com/wp-content...ngle-brick.jpg

So when you hear about a bricked phone, imagine the brick on the image above, that means, unuseful, broken

BL7 means bootloader version 7, don't pay attention to that for now while you're learning how to flash.
Search for framaroot.apk to root your phone like they said above

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Horinius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoxG View Post
MIUI Is the ROM project of Xiaomi, it's just a ROM
By ROM, I suppose you mean Operating System or Firmware.

In the guide, there are several places where it's written "CM7 or MIUI". Does that mean MIUI is an alternative to CM7?

Quote:
This is a brick
bodyshapestyle. com/wp-content/plugins/ single-brick. jpg
Very funny, haaaa haaaa haaaa I know what a brick it.

To brick means to close or to wall with brick. There is this sentence in the guide "Thanks to this locked Bootloader, is really, really hard to Brick your Defy." in a user's viewpoint, why would I want to "brick" my Defy? That doesn't make any sense. I mean, if I'm reading the guide, that's because I want to root the Defy, ie to remove the constraint. To brick means to put in constraint.

There is another sentence: "... this ("this refers to Nandroid backup) is almost harmless, meaning you CANT brick your phone doing it, though you can make Android not boot and a new SBF or Nandroid would need to be installed."
Does it really mean what it's written? Using Nandroid backup has the intention to brick my phone??

Quote:
So when you hear about a bricked phone, imagine the brick on the image above, that means, unuseful, broken
No, don't get it! A brick is useful. A brick is not broken. I don't see the relationship between a (real) brick and a bricked phone as you defined it. You or someone have reinvented the meaning of the word "brick".

There got to be a glossary for "rooting phones" to give the meaning of all these meaningless words and abbreviations.

Quote:
BL7 means bootloader version 7, don't pay attention to that for now while you're learning how to flash.
Search for framaroot.apk to root your phone like they said above
Right, this is the most important part! There is no way to guess if I have BL7 or not just by reading that guide. In other words, the guide is not self-contained. So don't get mad when a "newbie" asked some "stupid" questions -- the problem does not necessarily come from "newbies", but can come from others.

Yeah, I had used framaroot and I was asked to choose an exploit!?? Tried Gimli, screen displayed "Unroot done". Tried Aragorn, doesn't seem to work. That's why I wanted to go the "traditional" way to make sure my Defy is correctly rooted.

DiegoxG
Old
(Last edited by DiegoxG; 20th June 2014 at 03:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Hey mate, you're the one getting mad here, take it easy, no one is judging you of anything,

So, you say a brick is useful, yeah, of course it's useful to place it in a building, but if your phone gets bricked you would place it in a building? Don't be that strict about the words, when a phone gets broken and unuseful it turns literally into a brick so why do you complain a lot with this? Sure, you won't want to brick your phone, the phrase "Thanks to this locked Bootloader, is really, really hard to brick your Defy" is just to give you confidence about flashing without being in risk of damaging your phone. (Almost all phones have unlocked bootloader so they can get broken easier)

MIUI and CM7 are two different ROMs, two different options, yes, ROM is a custom image of android that you can flash on your phone, there are a lot of ROMs for Defy including MIUI and CyanogenMod

Another way to root your phone is to download SuperOneClick for PC (zip file),

First activate debugging mode on your Defy, go to Settings > Applications > Development > Debugging mode.
Plug your phone into the PC and open SuperOneClick.exe, click the ROOT button and let the program do its job, your phone will be restarted twice, if it asks you to install busybox, say yes, and if it asks you to test the root, click no, and done, your phone will be rooted and you will see an app called Superuser in your phone.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk