Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,453 Members 41,871 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KitKat on a rooted Note 3.

Tip us?
 
Dardwizzle
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jun 2014

 
DONATE TO ME
Unhappy [Q] KitKat on a rooted Note 3.

Hi Guys,

First, I beg of you not to say RTFM on similar questions here regarding this. I have read them, and read them in their entirety. The problem I have is that none of them list how to get me though my issues on my Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A.

My problem is that I (as many others) really want to upgrade to the Kit Kat OTA released from AT&T a week or so ago. The thing is, I did root my device and as everyone know's this fails any OTA updates.

My question is two fold, but first I would like to explain that I rooted my device NOT for being able to install any custom ROM's. In fact I never had an interest in doing so as I actually like the stock OS's which right now I am still running 4.3. I rooted it specifically to be able to run network / packet sniffers on my own home network as a method to learn a little more about how things go over a network, seeing what I can learn and see if I can find any vulnerabilities. I also used it to try and clean bloat ware and other programs that with out root I can not uninstall or use, such as certain fast reboot apps. So, I really had no intention of using the Root to get me a custom ROM, as I wouldn't even know where to begin.

So my questions are this. Is there anyway that I can "un do" the root in order to let the device act as if it were never rooted? Or, is there anyway to force the OTA regardless of the device being rooted. My biggest fear is losing all the apps and files that I have on my device and I have never been able to get any kind of back up app to work, especially to restore anything from them.

I had read that one can use ODIN to flash the Kit Kat ROM, but while I have installed ODIN on my laptop, I am clueless on how to use it. I tried everything, but even with the USB drivers installed and working (I know this because plugged into the USB port, I am able to browse all the files on my device, yet ODIN continues to tell me that no device has been found.

Can someone please help me to understand what I need to do? Again, I don't care if I lose Root, I care that I don't lose all the stuff I spent months installing and getting my device where I want it. I really need someone to explain somethings to me as if I were a two year old, with out scalding me and making me feel like a complete idiot. I came here because everyone I have talked to told me that you guys would be the ones that could help me, and if you can't, then I am screwed and will have to just wipe the entire device and I just can't do that. I may wind up having to buy a new device and just transfer over what ever I can, however, in the mean time that is not an option.

To this end, I come begging for some serious help since I know you guys are the literal gods of Androids. If I must take some kind of custom ROM in order to get Kit Kat, I am somewhat willing, but I do not fully understand or know what ROM I would want to install as I have never in my life seen a custom ROM and what the benefits of having one are which is kind of why I really want to stick with the stock ROM and just keep getting the updates via OTA.

I have all the faith in the world you guys can help, I just don't know if anyone is willing to help since I know similar questions have been asked, but I do not know how to use what I learned for my particular device.

Thanks very much.

EU
 
antique_sonic
Old
#2  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Hi Guys,

First, I beg of you not to say RTFM on similar questions here regarding this. I have read them, and read them in their entirety. The problem I have is that none of them list how to get me though my issues on my Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A.

My problem is that I (as many others) really want to upgrade to the Kit Kat OTA released from AT&T a week or so ago. The thing is, I did root my device and as everyone know's this fails any OTA updates.

My question is two fold, but first I would like to explain that I rooted my device NOT for being able to install any custom ROM's. In fact I never had an interest in doing so as I actually like the stock OS's which right now I am still running 4.3. I rooted it specifically to be able to run network / packet sniffers on my own home network as a method to learn a little more about how things go over a network, seeing what I can learn and see if I can find any vulnerabilities. I also used it to try and clean bloat ware and other programs that with out root I can not uninstall or use, such as certain fast reboot apps. So, I really had no intention of using the Root to get me a custom ROM, as I wouldn't even know where to begin.

So my questions are this. Is there anyway that I can "un do" the root in order to let the device act as if it were never rooted? Or, is there anyway to force the OTA regardless of the device being rooted. My biggest fear is losing all the apps and files that I have on my device and I have never been able to get any kind of back up app to work, especially to restore anything from them.

I had read that one can use ODIN to flash the Kit Kat ROM, but while I have installed ODIN on my laptop, I am clueless on how to use it. I tried everything, but even with the USB drivers installed and working (I know this because plugged into the USB port, I am able to browse all the files on my device, yet ODIN continues to tell me that no device has been found.

Can someone please help me to understand what I need to do? Again, I don't care if I lose Root, I care that I don't lose all the stuff I spent months installing and getting my device where I want it. I really need someone to explain somethings to me as if I were a two year old, with out scalding me and making me feel like a complete idiot. I came here because everyone I have talked to told me that you guys would be the ones that could help me, and if you can't, then I am screwed and will have to just wipe the entire device and I just can't do that. I may wind up having to buy a new device and just transfer over what ever I can, however, in the mean time that is not an option.

To this end, I come begging for some serious help since I know you guys are the literal gods of Androids. If I must take some kind of custom ROM in order to get Kit Kat, I am somewhat willing, but I do not fully understand or know what ROM I would want to install as I have never in my life seen a custom ROM and what the benefits of having one are which is kind of why I really want to stick with the stock ROM and just keep getting the updates via OTA.

I have all the faith in the world you guys can help, I just don't know if anyone is willing to help since I know similar questions have been asked, but I do not know how to use what I learned for my particular device.

Thanks very much.

EU
does ur kies run? if so turn it off.
USB debugging off? turn it on.
are u in download mode of ur phone? if not, switch off n wait till vibrate to make it really off. then press vol down + home + power. then follow instructions to press vol up once u inside warning screen.
after that u can plug in ur phone.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dardwizzle
Old
(Last edited by Dardwizzle; 15th June 2014 at 05:32 AM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jun 2014

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
does ur kies run? if so turn it off.
USB debugging off? turn it on.
are u in download mode of ur phone? if not, switch off n wait till vibrate to make it really off. then press vol down + home + power. then follow instructions to press vol up once u inside warning screen.
after that u can plug in ur phone.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
Hi antique_sonic, I would just like to clarify a couple things as well as answer your questions.

>does ur kies run? if so turn it off. <--- If you mean is it installed on my laptop and work? Yes it is, and yes it does, however, I almost never use it. Mainly because I was told that once you root a Samsung Device, Kies is no longer able to be used.

>USB debugging off? turn it on. <--- It is and has been turned on in an effort to try to sideload KitKat, but that was a hug fail. But I will leave it on for this discussion.

>are u in download mode of ur phone? <---- I have gotten here before but don't exactly know what to do once I am there since I don't know where to get a Kit Kat ROM, where to put it once I have it, or how to use anything in d/l mode.

> if not, switch off n wait till vibrate to make it really off. then press vol down + home + power. then follow instructions to press vol up once u inside warning screen. after that u can plug in ur phone. <--- Are these instructions for wiping the device back to the factory default? Will I lose everything currently installed and loaded on my Note 3? Or does this some how fix / allow for the OTA update to install completely because it no longer can tell the device is rooted?

Again, I must apologize because this is so greek to me.I am just trying to understand at this point what infact the instructions you gave me do, and what they are intended for. Is this just to get the USB drives to work properly? Or is this something that will help me undo root so that I would be able to install KitKat via the AT&T OTA. If now the latter, where I can I get a complete Kit Kat ROM and use ODIN to flash the ROM? This outcome would suck because I believe that this will cause me to lose everything on my device I worked so hard to get where I wanted. I have just over looked the fact that in rooting my device I there by killed my ability to keep my device updated with the latest OTA releases / patches.

Again, I appreciate you reply, but sadly I am in need of a bit more info if you could please.

Thank you so very much. I hope one day to be able to pay it forward, passing along the knowledge you have shared with me,

Regards,

EU
 
antique_sonic
Old
#4  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Hi antique_sonic, I would just like to clarify a couple things as well as answer your questions.

>does ur kies run? if so turn it off. <--- If you mean is it installed on my laptop and work? Yes it is, and yes it does, however, I almost never use it. Mainly because I was told that once you root a Samsung Device, Kies is no longer able to be used.
do check, is it running in background ? check your task manager. if so, kill the process. Kies should not run together with ODIN. Otherwise sometimes will give problem to your ODIN process.
I normally only install the USB driver only, as this is the only thing needed to connect your phone to comp (as MTP, or as ODIN connection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
>are u in download mode of ur phone? <---- I have gotten here before but don't exactly know what to do once I am there since I don't know where to get a Kit Kat ROM, where to put it once I have it, or how to use anything in d/l mode.
ok, in a very simple word. download mode is basically a state whereby your phone is ready to download system files and install the system files on your device.
This is the only state possible to get a connection to your ODIN PC to flash stock firmware, recovery (in .tar/.md5 format).

How to get the KK ROM ?
1) identify your device. which model it is. N9005? N900T? N900A? N900 blablabla?
2) goto samfirmware.com (register there if you don't have account. it is free). after that you can just find your firmware by typing on the search device textbox your device model (e.g N9005), and it will come out the list of your device firmware (normally they will show for the latest firmware list)
3) choose the firmware that you want to download (if your device N9005 international 32 gb, try to avoid the Hongkong / Taiwan firmware, as they have different PIT partition).
4) once you have the downloaded zip file from samfirmware, extract the zip, and then you will get the (.tar/.md5) file. Now you can use to flash this one over ODIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
> if not, switch off n wait till vibrate to make it really off. then press vol down + home + power. then follow instructions to press vol up once u inside warning screen. after that u can plug in ur phone. <--- Are these instructions for wiping the device back to the factory default? Will I lose everything currently installed and loaded on my Note 3? Or does this some how fix / allow for the OTA update to install completely because it no longer can tell the device is rooted?

no. no. no.
This is how to go into download mode in your device
Not yet talking about factory reset.
But yes, you have to backup your internal storage, as sometimes upgrading will cost you to do factory reset, and your internal storage will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Again, I must apologize because this is so greek to me.I am just trying to understand at this point what infact the instructions you gave me do, and what they are intended for. Is this just to get the USB drives to work properly? Or is this something that will help me undo root so that I would be able to install KitKat via the AT&T OTA. If now the latter, where I can I get a complete Kit Kat ROM and use ODIN to flash the ROM? This outcome would suck because I believe that this will cause me to lose everything on my device I worked so hard to get where I wanted. I have just over looked the fact that in rooting my device I there by killed my ability to keep my device updated with the latest OTA releases / patches.
up to this point, I just remembered that you have N900A (AT&T) version. hahaha.
I go check the samfirmware, no release of KK yet at the samfirmware.
I'm sorry, I own N9005, and I never explore too much on the N900A, so I won't know what is the latest release, and where to get it other from samfirmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Again, I appreciate you reply, but sadly I am in need of a bit more info if you could please.

Thank you so very much. I hope one day to be able to pay it forward, passing along the knowledge you have shared with me,

Regards,

EU
no problem. you just get your latest firmware first, once you have it, you let me know, i can give you step by step in detail, on how to flash to your device.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dardwizzle
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jun 2014

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
up to this point, I just remembered that you have N900A (AT&T) version. hahaha.
I go check the samfirmware, no release of KK yet at the samfirmware.
I'm sorry, I own N9005, and I never explore too much on the N900A, so I won't know what is the latest release, and where to get it other from samfirmware.

no problem. you just get your latest firmware first, once you have it, you let me know, i can give you step by step in detail, on how to flash to your device.
Sure sure, just laugh at me why don't ya!! LOL I will continue to try to find the appropriate firmware. I guess if I learned one valuable lesson in all this, it is just don't root your device if you don't plan on using custom ROM's. I had no idea that there would be no way to "unroot" your device once it's rooted. I was really hoping that you could just undo what ever is done to actually root the device, this way the OTA's will just start working again. Or that there would be a way to just force the OTA regardless of whether the device is rooted. I am not sure I truly understand why the OTA just won't install just because the device is rooted.I mean sure it adds SU to the device, and unlocks (I think) the boot partition or the boot loader, which ever, but regardless, why should the OTA package care and fail to install just because of that change?

Anyway, that's probably a discussion for another thread. I actually did find a Kit Kat zip that is like 150MB's it has a boot.img inside the zip, but it has nothing with an extension that ODIN can recognize. I would love to show you the zip, but it's too large to attach or email. The file name is 2400258.zip, but I forgot where I downloaded it from. It may be what I need to do the job, but with out someone seeing the zip I have no way of knowing if it's the files I need. I was not about to find any files with in it that are in txt readable format for me to say exactly what it is. It does have subfolders names Google and Android and the like but I am sure that is pretty useless with out seeing the full zip.

I will keep my eye on this thread and when I find something I can work with, or if you guys find anything I can work with I will come back and see where we can go next.

Thanks again bud!
 
antique_sonic
Old
#6  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Sure sure, just laugh at me why don't ya!! LOL I will continue to try to find the appropriate firmware. I guess if I learned one valuable lesson in all this, it is just don't root your device if you don't plan on using custom ROM's. I had no idea that there would be no way to "unroot" your device once it's rooted. I was really hoping that you could just undo what ever is done to actually root the device, this way the OTA's will just start working again. Or that there would be a way to just force the OTA regardless of whether the device is rooted. I am not sure I truly understand why the OTA just won't install just because the device is rooted.I mean sure it adds SU to the device, and unlocks (I think) the boot partition or the boot loader, which ever, but regardless, why should the OTA package care and fail to install just because of that change?

Anyway, that's probably a discussion for another thread. I actually did find a Kit Kat zip that is like 150MB's it has a boot.img inside the zip, but it has nothing with an extension that ODIN can recognize. I would love to show you the zip, but it's too large to attach or email. The file name is 2400258.zip, but I forgot where I downloaded it from. It may be what I need to do the job, but with out someone seeing the zip I have no way of knowing if it's the files I need. I was not about to find any files with in it that are in txt readable format for me to say exactly what it is. It does have subfolders names Google and Android and the like but I am sure that is pretty useless with out seeing the full zip.

I will keep my eye on this thread and when I find something I can work with, or if you guys find anything I can work with I will come back and see where we can go next.

Thanks again bud!
I don't like spoonfeeding too much actually.
but I find u r quite funny. no offence.

I have no idea this will work or not, but I found this as the 1st search result on Google.
http://www.droidviews.com/install-an...ote-3-sm-900a/
just have a look first nd don't do anything till u understand the article.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dardwizzle
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jun 2014

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
I don't like spoonfeeding too much actually.
but I find u r quite funny. no offence.

I have no idea this will work or not, but I found this as the 1st search result on Google.
(I had to remove the link as the website thought I was adding it and gave me a no no warning that I can't post outside links cause I be a newbie!) BAH!!!
just have a look first nd don't do anything till u understand the article.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
Hey antique_sonic, no offence taken my friend, I am a giant goof ball, but I am also someone who doesn't mind working out my own problems. It's just sometimes with things like this where I am clueless and need a little hand holding. It's nice to know that there are people like you around to help out the dopes like me My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, and I will be looking into the link you sent tonight. I haven't been feeling well lately, I have two herniated disks in my back and I have End Stage Liver disease and I am only 39, so I sometimes get a bit under the weather and am down for the count for a few days. So I do appreciate your patience with me and all the help and direction you are giving me. I try never to abuse the help as that is no way to learn, and learning is actually one of favorite hobbies! Weird huh.... So, I am off to go read the link you provided me and update the stock on my website and hope I make some more sales so I can get some money to buy a new phone when I brick this one! LMAO! Thanks again Sonic, I really appreciate everything!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dardwizzle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
antique_sonic
Old
#8  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1094
Posts: 2,099
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
Hey antique_sonic, no offence taken my friend, I am a giant goof ball, but I am also someone who doesn't mind working out my own problems. It's just sometimes with things like this where I am clueless and need a little hand holding.
No worries and yeah you should try to find first. by this way, you will learn faster, compare if someone do the spoonfeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
It's nice to know that there are people like you around to help out the dopes like me My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, and I will be looking into the link you sent tonight.
My pleasure to help. And no worries for late reply, as I will do the same when I busy with my real life job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
I haven't been feeling well lately, I have two herniated disks in my back and I have End Stage Liver disease and I am only 39, so I sometimes get a bit under the weather and am down for the count for a few days. So I do appreciate your patience with me and all the help and direction you are giving me.
you are welcome mate. I'm sorry to read the news about your conditions. I can't say anything about this, but wish you all the best. Don't ever feel down in whichever state you are, just do the best in life, and we will never regret that 1 more day has passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardwizzle View Post
I try never to abuse the help as that is no way to learn, and learning is actually one of favorite hobbies! Weird huh.... So, I am off to go read the link you provided me and update the stock on my website and hope I make some more sales so I can get some money to buy a new phone when I brick this one! LMAO! Thanks again Sonic, I really appreciate everything!
GOOD !!!
go and grab sales, rather than you brick the phone.
Once again, u r welcome mate.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes