Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,329 Members 38,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Free alternative to TiBu for freezing apps

Tip us?
 
Caseyk621
Old
#11  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 447
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDroid4Lifex View Post
To the extent the app allows disabling through settings, yes, because if the app does not allow disabling by default technically its not the same effect. You need to either rename that app in /system with a .bak extension(as far as I remember that's how its done) or use a separate app to freeze(disable) it.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra
 
xDroid4Lifex
Old
#12  
xDroid4Lifex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra
From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
 
Caseyk621
Old
#13  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 447
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDroid4Lifex View Post
From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
 
xDroid4Lifex
Old
#14  
xDroid4Lifex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
 
Caseyk621
Old
#15  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 447
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDroid4Lifex View Post
I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
 
xDroid4Lifex
Old
#16  
xDroid4Lifex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
Exactly haha, but it does need a little bit of elaboration if one doesn't understand the process of freezing. I'm the OP btw someone else asked the question about disable/freezing.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a free solution to TiBu pros "freeze/defrost" option see link in OP.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
 
Caseyk621
Old
#17  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 447
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
[QUOTE=xDroid4Lifex;53285770 I'm the OP btw someone else asked the question about disable/freezing.

Lol. Touché. Should have said OQ...? Good info nonetheless....

Sent from a carrier pigeon[/QUOTE]



Sent From My Droid Ultra
 
doogald
Old
#18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 1,298
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDroid4Lifex View Post
Nothing really, carriers just don't want you disabling bloat apps that generate revenue so that option isn't given in the settings menu for most of them.
This I think is wrong. Every third party system app that I know of can be disabled.All of the Amazon apps can be disabled. Ingress can be disabled. IMDB can be disabled. The evil Caller Name ID can be disabled, as can NFL Mobile. VZ Navigator, I think even Gmail and Google calendar - all can be disabled. I am pretty sure that the only system apps that can't be disabled are critical apps that aren't third party bloatware. Maybe there is one or two, but surely most of them can be disabled.
 
jfriend33
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 914
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Illinois
Search root Uninstaller

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Bring Back Tablet UI on KitKat

Google presented their brand new UI for tablets alongsidethe release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb back in early … more

Give Your Notification Shade a Facelift with these Modding Guides

Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more

Keep Track of How Much Your Car Truly Costs with Car Logbook

It’s a very well established fact that cars are expensive. In addition to … more

New Nvidia SHIELD Tablet OTA! Moto G 4G Gets Official CyangenMod 11 Nightlies – XDA Developer TV

The Nvidia SHIELD Tablet gets its … more