Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Free alternative to TiBu for freezing apps

Tip us?

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDroid4Lifex View Post
To the extent the app allows disabling through settings, yes, because if the app does not allow disabling by default technically its not the same effect. You need to either rename that app in /system with a .bak extension(as far as I remember that's how its done) or use a separate app to freeze(disable) it.

Sent from a carrier pigeon
Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra
From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra
Exactly haha, but it does need a little bit of elaboration if one doesn't understand the process of freezing. I'm the OP btw someone else asked the question about disable/freezing.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a free solution to TiBu pros "freeze/defrost" option see link in OP.

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 121
[QUOTE=xDroid4Lifex;53285770 I'm the OP btw someone else asked the question about disable/freezing.

Lol. Touché. Should have said OQ...? Good info nonetheless....

Sent from a carrier pigeon[/QUOTE]

Sent From My Droid Ultra

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Nothing really, carriers just don't want you disabling bloat apps that generate revenue so that option isn't given in the settings menu for most of them.
This I think is wrong. Every third party system app that I know of can be disabled.All of the Amazon apps can be disabled. Ingress can be disabled. IMDB can be disabled. The evil Caller Name ID can be disabled, as can NFL Mobile. VZ Navigator, I think even Gmail and Google calendar - all can be disabled. I am pretty sure that the only system apps that can't be disabled are critical apps that aren't third party bloatware. Maybe there is one or two, but surely most of them can be disabled.

jfriend33
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Search root Uninstaller

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.