Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I solve my terrible battery performance?

Tip us?

conanh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How do I solve my terrible battery performance?

I got a refurbished AT&T Galaxy Note 3 about a month or 2 ago. From the very beginning the battery has been awful. On a full charge--which takes at least 6 hours--I can get about 4 hours of regular use (i.e. no games, just web, maybe some maps, email, turning off Wifi & GPS when not in use, lowering the brightness, etc.) and sometimes up to 8 if I don't use it at all. If I play a game or listen to an audiobook, I get maybe 2-3 hours. Even if it's plugged in to the charger, the battery will slowly drain if I'm using it. The phone is also very often really hot.

As suggested on other threads about battery problems, I've downloaded Battery Doctor to help close open apps--and that's given me a tiny bit more time, but nothing substantial. I've also been using GSam to see what the problem might be. 25% is used by the Android Sytem, 22% is used by the screen, 11% by facebook (which I've started force quitting), 8% by the Kernel, 8% by the phone radio, etc.

Nearly everyone says what a great phone this is, but I just find my self seriously limiting how much I use it--which defeats the purpose of even having it.

Any ideas of what's going on? Anything else I should be looking at or trying? Between this and the fact that I can't root (I have KK), I'm about ready to sell it and go back to an iPhone.

Thanks.

koszor
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanh View Post
I got a refurbished AT&T Galaxy Note 3 about a month or 2 ago. From the very beginning the battery has been awful. On a full charge--which takes at least 6 hours--I can get about 4 hours of regular use (i.e. no games, just web, maybe some maps, email, turning off Wifi & GPS when not in use, lowering the brightness, etc.) and sometimes up to 8 if I don't use it at all. If I play a game or listen to an audiobook, I get maybe 2-3 hours. Even if it's plugged in to the charger, the battery will slowly drain if I'm using it. The phone is also very often really hot.

As suggested on other threads about battery problems, I've downloaded Battery Doctor to help close open apps--and that's given me a tiny bit more time, but nothing substantial. I've also been using GSam to see what the problem might be. 25% is used by the Android Sytem, 22% is used by the screen, 11% by facebook (which I've started force quitting), 8% by the Kernel, 8% by the phone radio, etc.

Nearly everyone says what a great phone this is, but I just find my self seriously limiting how much I use it--which defeats the purpose of even having it.

Any ideas of what's going on? Anything else I should be looking at or trying? Between this and the fact that I can't root (I have KK), I'm about ready to sell it and go back to an iPhone.

Thanks.
You may have a bad battery, pop the back off and replace it!

papertreeprophet
Old
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
First and foremost, try and figure out what might be hogging up all your battery.

Go to System Settings -> General Tab -> Battery

Look at this list of apps that are eating your battery up. The top 3 are usually 'Android System', 'Android OS', and 'Screen', depending on your current usage (unless you have been loving up a game or other resource intensive app recently, in which case it will be up top). If you see an app that seems to be eating away at it constantly, even when you aren't usuing it, try uninstalling it.

You might also have a problem with wake lock (where an app, or apps keeps your phone from going into its deep sleep). If your phone is rooted you can get the wake lock detector from the app store and use it to figure out what is causing the problem.

If its a system app that casuing wake lock, or just eating through battery like there is no tomorrow, it might be a known bug someone can help you with.

Also a thing to consider is the health of the battery. You say its a refurbished phone, who knows what that battery has been through (if its not a new one, no idea if they do that for refurbs). Its not a cheap option, but if all else fails getting a new battery might be the way to go. Also if no else fails there is as they say the nuclear option, as in doing a good factory reset once or twice.

Hope all that helps
( O . O ) <- My Face When My Mom Asks Me To Root Her Phone...
The Following User Says Thank You to papertreeprophet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

147aaron
Old
(Last edited by 147aaron; 20th June 2014 at 02:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanh View Post

Thanks.
Battery drain on Kitkat is a common problem, but that is ridiculous. Sounds like to me that you have a messed up battery. You should be able to call Att and have them send you out a new battery. Or Samsung might have to send you out one. I don't know who, but the battery should be covered under the warranty of the phone.

EDIT : Also, check if the battery has any bumps, dents, etc.

If I've helped you, please don't forget to hit the thanks button.

Currently using -

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N900A)

Previous phones (No longer own) -

Android -
LG G FLEX
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Captivate
HTC One X
HTC Inspire 4G
Motorola Defy

Apple -