Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Bootanimation replacement *.qmg vs *.zip

OP Icculus760

20th June 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 23

75 posts
I've changed bootanimations before on other devices, but the file was always called "bootanimation.zip." Looking at the files in the SGS5, I see 3 different "boot*.qmg" files, but no "bootanimation.zip."

Since we don't have a custom recovery yet, I'm hesitant to rename the *.qmg files and drop in a "bootanimation.zip" I created for my SGS4 into the same folder. Is there some new way to replace bootanimations on an SGS5 due to the *.qmg file extension, or it's safe to just rename/delete the *.qmg files and drop in the "bootanimation.zip" file into the appropriate folder?

I'd hate to get stuck in a bootloop and have to odin back to stock only to be unable to fully "restore" my phone's settings afterwards (yes, I have TiBu & other apps that'll allow me to restore, but it's certainly not as easy or as complete as restoring a nandroid backup).
20th June 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Syracuse, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,171

1,257 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus760

I've changed bootanimations before on other devices, but the file was always called "bootanimation.zip." Looking at the files in the SGS5, I see 3 different "boot*.qmg" files, but no "bootanimation.zip."

Since we don't have a custom recovery yet, I'm hesitant to rename the *.qmg files and drop in a "bootanimation.zip" I created for my SGS4 into the same folder. Is there some new way to replace bootanimations on an SGS5 due to the *.qmg file extension, or it's safe to just rename/delete the *.qmg files and drop in the "bootanimation.zip" file into the appropriate folder?

I'd hate to get stuck in a bootloop and have to odin back to stock only to be unable to fully "restore" my phone's settings afterwards (yes, I have TiBu & other apps that'll allow me to restore, but it's certainly not as easy or as complete as restoring a nandroid backup).

Follow these instructions. Enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc

Follow these instructions. Enjoy.

Thank you very much for the direction. While I'll give it a shot a later, that still won't allow me to replace the default bootanimation w/ the ones I've previously created. The bootanimation.zip files I want to use only contain *.png files (the *png's are in "part0" folder and there is a desc.txt file in the parent directory). There are no *.qmg files in those zip's to extract, so that process won't work for me & the bootanimations I'm trying to use.

Any other ideas, or is my only option to use something like the Samsung Theme Designer process? (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696914)
20th June 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag Syracuse, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,171

1,257 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus760

Thank you very much for the direction. While I'll give it a shot a later, that still won't allow me to replace the default bootanimation w/ the ones I've previously created. The bootanimation.zip files I want to use only contain *.png files (the *png's are in "part0" folder and there is a desc.txt file in the parent directory). There are no *.qmg files in those zip's to extract, so that process won't work for me & the bootanimations I'm trying to use.

Any other ideas, or is my only option to use something like the Samsung Theme Designer process? (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696914)

Contact the maker of the OP of the thread with the boot animations, I'm pretty sure he/she can help you out converting the files. It's been done before in that thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc

Contact the maker of the OP of the thread with the boot animations, I'm pretty sure he/she can help you out converting the files. It's been done before in that thread.

What the heck, man. Stop helping me so quickly!
Thanks again!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Icculus760 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootanimation, samsung galaxy s5, sgs5, verizon
Previous Thread Next Thread