Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,875 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC in general!

Tip us?

Raymondlikesroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default HTC in general!

Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/
leave a thanks if i helped! Raymond

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlikesroot View Post
Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader?
Probably.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Many people buy these phones because the boot loader can be unlocked and HTC know this. I doubt they'd jeopardise sales by locking it down. I would not buy any device that is locked down or proprietary, one reason I will never ever own an apple device.

Jyotirdeb
Old
Thanks Meter 246
You see htc and nexus devices have future but samsung,lg etc doesnot.Because there are alot of custom roms available for htc devices,there development is awesome but ssamsung etc doesnot have that strong development.I have seen htc's development from incredible days.
Don't say thanks hit thanks if I have helped.

Current Device:

S-OFF-Yes
Recovery:TWRP
Kernel:ElementalX
Rom:Android Revolution HD by Mike!

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1312

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlikesroot View Post
Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/
At some point they will lock them down & if you want it unlocked, it will be a dev or GPe model only. To say that they will keep them unlockable because they sell a lot for that reason, well, that's just not true. Probably less than 1% of TOTAL users ever unlock their bootloader, or even root their devices. Given HTC's marketshare, if everyone that unlocked their HTC bootloader, stopped buying HTC devices, that would be probably less than 0.05% of the market, probably much less. Meanwhile there are corporations, organizations & government bodies that want more secure devices, that also buy more devices than all the bootloader unlockers combined.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology: