[Q] Why is it so difficult to port a ROM from one device to another

OP Kenchinito

20th June 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

190 posts
What's up guys, I've always wondered about it. You can get technical on me.

Now, I'm not saying it is an easy task. I know it is quite time consuming and I appreciate all the developers out there that invest their time in ROM Cooking. I just don't understand why.

As far as I understand, android is just a virtual machine, that's why it's so easy to install into anything (even some windows phones) and that's why we need huge processing power to get a smooth interface in comparison to an iPhone 4.

If it's just a virtual machine, shouldn't it be easy to port ROMs? you know, like how I would install MAC OS on my Windows computer without much trouble with a virtual machine. I know we have drivers to take into account and all that stuff, but drivers are already available.

For example, there is NexSense (a Sense 6 port for the Nexus 5) and the camera doesn't work (I would assume because of driver issues). Can't I just take the camera driver from my stock ROM and shove it into the Sense ROM and call it a day? I know it's not that easy, but why isn't it?

I feel like I'm debating the meaning of life here hahaha...

Thank you for all your answers in advance
20th June 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #2  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,247

14,671 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenchinito

What's up guys, I've always wondered about it. You can get technical on me.

Now, I'm not saying it is an easy task. I know it is quite time consuming and I appreciate all the developers out there that invest their time in ROM Cooking. I just don't understand why.

As far as I understand, android is just a virtual machine, that's why it's so easy to install into anything (even some windows phones) and that's why we need huge processing power to get a smooth interface in comparison to an iPhone 4.

If it's just a virtual machine, shouldn't it be easy to port ROMs? you know, like how I would install MAC OS on my Windows computer without much trouble with a virtual machine. I know we have drivers to take into account and all that stuff, but drivers are already available.

For example, there is NexSense (a Sense 6 port for the Nexus 5) and the camera doesn't work (I would assume because of driver issues). Can't I just take the camera driver from my stock ROM and shove it into the Sense ROM and call it a day? I know it's not that easy, but why isn't it?

I feel like I'm debating the meaning of life here hahaha...

Thank you for all your answers in advance

This is because most apps are connected to the main frameworks files. Like your camera apk. The app is not completely self contained. It requires HTC framework files which is built to run on only HTC devices. Then you add in the needed kernels which are device dependent. And that is just the beginning. Not to mention a lot of this stuff is closed sourced so porting is not easy.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread