Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Flashing Custom Kernel

OP Panos97

20th June 2014, 11:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hello everyone, I have recently bought a galaxy s4 mini GT-I9195 and i want to flash a custom kernel like this one here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636890 ... First, do I have to check if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Or i just flash it via Odin rightaway? Yesterday I rooted it using CF-Auto-Root.. Please, if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it because i have no experience on flashing on sammy devices and i am reeally confused .. I have been searching like the WHOLE internet to find a solution but came up with nothing.. Thanks in advance
20th June 2014, 01:43 PM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
XDA Assist Team
Thanks Meter: 2,115

3,423 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos97

Hello everyone, I have recently bought a galaxy s4 mini GT-I9195 and i want to flash a custom kernel like this one here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636890 ... First, do I have to check if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Or i just flash it via Odin rightaway? Yesterday I rooted it using CF-Auto-Root.. Please, if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it because i have no experience on flashing on sammy devices and i am reeally confused .. I have been searching like the WHOLE internet to find a solution but came up with nothing.. Thanks in advance

You must flash thru recovery.

Here the installation steps, but first you must flash a custom recovery like this or other, its up to you.

Quote:

Installation instructions
- Copy f4ktion_1.4.0-xxx.zip to your SDCARD
- Reboot into CWM recovery
- Choose "Install zip from sdcard"
- Select f4ktion_1.4.0-xxx.zip kernel and confirm installation.

The Following User Says Thank You to R_a_z_v_a_n For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_a_z_v_a_n

You must flash thru recovery.

Here the installation steps, but first you must flash a custom recovery like this or other, its up to you.

Thank you so much So all i have to do is flash the recovery in Odin.. But since my s4 mini is rooted, do i have to install the S4Mini_RootKit_V2.zip?? i mean if I do, will it conflict with the SuperSU i have previously installed on my device? Or just overwrite it and work like a charm? Sorry I'm asking like too many questions, but since i'm new here i need some guidance
Btw, how do i know if my bootloader is unlocked? Before I buy this s4 mini i owned an Xperia go and to install a kernel i had to unlock the BL.. I don't know if the same thing applies for sammy devices, just asking
20th June 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
XDA Assist Team

3,423 posts
More
Quote:

Thank you so much So all i have to do is flash the recovery in Odin.. But since my s4 mini is rooted, do i have to install the S4Mini_RootKit_V2.zip?? i mean if I do, will it conflict with the SuperSU i have previously installed on my device? Or just overwrite it and work like a charm? Sorry I'm asking like too many questions, but since i'm new here i need some guidance
Btw, how do i know if my bootloader is unlocked? Before I buy this s4 mini i owned an Xperia go and to install a kernel i had to unlock the BL.. I don't know if the same thing applies for sammy devices, just asking

No, we have bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to unlock anything.

No, try with this recovery if you afraid to not doing some conflicts:

[i919x][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

Quote:

Download philz_touch_6.07.9-serranoltexx.tar.md5
boot into download mode
connect phone in download mode to PC via USB
press start to flash the tar.md5 package
normally, phone should auto-reboot into recovery.
If it reboots into main system and your recovery remains stock, repeat above steps and untick "autoreboot" in odin. Once flash is done, keep pressing the 3 buttons combo to for a reboot into recovery.You should see the new CWM
when in recovery, if you choose option "reboot system now" and you get "yes - disable flash recovery", select that option to avoid stock recovery overwriting cwm

20th June 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

No, we have bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to unlock anything.

No, try with this recovery if you afraid to not doing some conflicts:

[i919x][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

So after i install the philz touch recovery, can i install ths deodexed rom http://www.s4miniarchive.com/2014/04...y-s4-mini.html which comes with a custom kernel (vikinger)? will there be a problem with it because the rom is based on BML1 and my current fw is BNB3? thank you very much
20th June 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
XDA Assist Team

3,423 posts
More
Quote:

So after i install the philz touch recovery, can i install ths deodexed rom http://www.s4miniarchive.com/2014/04...y-s4-mini.html which comes with a custom kernel (vikinger)? will there be a problem with it because the rom is based on BML1 and my current fw is BNB3? thank you very much

Really, i don't know for sure, BUT in my previous phone (S Advance I9070) i have some errors when i flashed different baseband deodexed.

Make a nandroid backup after you have custom recovery, and you can try it. If something going wrong, restore your backup and all will just like before.
20th June 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

Really, i don't know for sure, BUT in my previous phone (S Advance I9070) i have some errors when i flashed different baseband deodexed.

Make a nandroid backup after you have custom recovery, and you can try it. If something going wrong, restore your backup and all will just like before.

Ok then! I will try and see, maybe sometime after i try doing it, i will post here how it went.. Thank you very much for being so kind as to answering all my noob-full questions
20th June 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
If you flash a custom recovery your device's Knox counter will be triggered to 0x1
Last edited by lOtz1009; 20th June 2014 at 05:17 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread