Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing Custom Kernel

Tip us?
 
Panos97
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] Flashing Custom Kernel

Hello everyone, I have recently bought a galaxy s4 mini GT-I9195 and i want to flash a custom kernel like this one here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636890 ... First, do I have to check if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Or i just flash it via Odin rightaway? Yesterday I rooted it using CF-Auto-Root.. Please, if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it because i have no experience on flashing on sammy devices and i am reeally confused .. I have been searching like the WHOLE internet to find a solution but came up with nothing.. Thanks in advance
 
R_a_z_v_a_n
Old
#2  
R_a_z_v_a_n's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,754
Posts: 2,021
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: XDA Assist Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos97 View Post
Hello everyone, I have recently bought a galaxy s4 mini GT-I9195 and i want to flash a custom kernel like this one here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636890 ... First, do I have to check if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Or i just flash it via Odin rightaway? Yesterday I rooted it using CF-Auto-Root.. Please, if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it because i have no experience on flashing on sammy devices and i am reeally confused .. I have been searching like the WHOLE internet to find a solution but came up with nothing.. Thanks in advance
You must flash thru recovery.

Here the installation steps, but first you must flash a custom recovery like this or other, its up to you.

Quote:
Installation instructions
- Copy f4ktion_1.4.0-xxx.zip to your SDCARD
- Reboot into CWM recovery
- Choose "Install zip from sdcard"
- Select f4ktion_1.4.0-xxx.zip kernel and confirm installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to R_a_z_v_a_n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Panos97
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_a_z_v_a_n View Post
You must flash thru recovery.

Here the installation steps, but first you must flash a custom recovery like this or other, its up to you.
Thank you so much So all i have to do is flash the recovery in Odin.. But since my s4 mini is rooted, do i have to install the S4Mini_RootKit_V2.zip?? i mean if I do, will it conflict with the SuperSU i have previously installed on my device? Or just overwrite it and work like a charm? Sorry I'm asking like too many questions, but since i'm new here i need some guidance
Btw, how do i know if my bootloader is unlocked? Before I buy this s4 mini i owned an Xperia go and to install a kernel i had to unlock the BL.. I don't know if the same thing applies for sammy devices, just asking
 
R_a_z_v_a_n
Old
#4  
R_a_z_v_a_n's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,754
Posts: 2,021
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: XDA Assist Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos97 View Post
Thank you so much So all i have to do is flash the recovery in Odin.. But since my s4 mini is rooted, do i have to install the S4Mini_RootKit_V2.zip?? i mean if I do, will it conflict with the SuperSU i have previously installed on my device? Or just overwrite it and work like a charm? Sorry I'm asking like too many questions, but since i'm new here i need some guidance
Btw, how do i know if my bootloader is unlocked? Before I buy this s4 mini i owned an Xperia go and to install a kernel i had to unlock the BL.. I don't know if the same thing applies for sammy devices, just asking
No, we have bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to unlock anything.

No, try with this recovery if you afraid to not doing some conflicts:

[i919x][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

Quote:
Download philz_touch_6.07.9-serranoltexx.tar.md5
boot into download mode
connect phone in download mode to PC via USB
press start to flash the tar.md5 package
normally, phone should auto-reboot into recovery.
If it reboots into main system and your recovery remains stock, repeat above steps and untick "autoreboot" in odin. Once flash is done, keep pressing the 3 buttons combo to for a reboot into recovery.You should see the new CWM
when in recovery, if you choose option "reboot system now" and you get "yes - disable flash recovery", select that option to avoid stock recovery overwriting cwm
The Following User Says Thank You to R_a_z_v_a_n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Panos97
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_a_z_v_a_n View Post
No, we have bootloader unlocked, so you don't need to unlock anything.

No, try with this recovery if you afraid to not doing some conflicts:

[i919x][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch
So after i install the philz touch recovery, can i install ths deodexed rom http://www.s4miniarchive.com/2014/04...y-s4-mini.html which comes with a custom kernel (vikinger)? will there be a problem with it because the rom is based on BML1 and my current fw is BNB3? thank you very much
 
R_a_z_v_a_n
Old
#6  
R_a_z_v_a_n's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,754
Posts: 2,021
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: XDA Assist Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos97 View Post
So after i install the philz touch recovery, can i install ths deodexed rom http://www.s4miniarchive.com/2014/04...y-s4-mini.html which comes with a custom kernel (vikinger)? will there be a problem with it because the rom is based on BML1 and my current fw is BNB3? thank you very much
Really, i don't know for sure, BUT in my previous phone (S Advance I9070) i have some errors when i flashed different baseband deodexed.

Make a nandroid backup after you have custom recovery, and you can try it. If something going wrong, restore your backup and all will just like before.
The Following User Says Thank You to R_a_z_v_a_n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Panos97
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_a_z_v_a_n View Post
Really, i don't know for sure, BUT in my previous phone (S Advance I9070) i have some errors when i flashed different baseband deodexed.

Make a nandroid backup after you have custom recovery, and you can try it. If something going wrong, restore your backup and all will just like before.
Ok then! I will try and see, maybe sometime after i try doing it, i will post here how it went.. Thank you very much for being so kind as to answering all my noob-full questions
 
lOtz1009
Old
(Last edited by lOtz1009; 20th June 2014 at 04:17 PM.)
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 17
Join Date: Feb 2013
If you flash a custom recovery your device's Knox counter will be triggered to 0x1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes