5,815,095 Members 38,388 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Now it's 2014, is the Nexus 10 still worth buying?

Tip us?

~ Lily ~
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Now it's 2014, is the Nexus 10 still worth buying?

Hi,

I've been wanting a tablet for a while now, and I have my eye on the Nexus 10, it's reasonably priced, and has been since it came out, it has an amazing display etc. etc.

But it's really quite old now, I've looked around and there's very much mixed views, I know exactly what I want from a tablet, and I was wondering if the Nexus 10 would be perfectly fine. I know the 2nd Gen. version is supposed to be coming out soon, but if this tablet does everything and want and is cheaper, what's the point in buying the newer one?

Anyway, basically I want a tablet that can easily to the following things:

Browse the internet
Watch movies
Browse Facebook
Be easily able to use Instagram
Easily able to use Snap Chat
Play games
Easily customisable (eg. Home screen backgrounds)
Have a decent front a back back camera
Updates to the latest version of android as soon as it's released
Feels good in the hand
Looks pretty good
Decent battery life

I'm pretty sure the Nexus 10 should be fine for most if not all of this, but I thought I'd check. One thing I think might help if you think I could get a better tablet for a decent price (preferably no more than 300) is that I really like the shape on the Nexus 10, but I really hate the shape of the Nexus 7. I don't know why, it's just one if those things I guess.

Thank you

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 289
You wont find a better 10" tablet within this price range. I still love it, its fast, has a monster gpu and decent battery life for me. Dont forget the 2560*1600 pixels screen..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir

CazeW
Old
Thanks Meter 140
For the price of N10, I seriously doubt there's anything better. But if you can throw in more money, I'd seriously consider waiting for the Galaxy Tab S with its 10.5" 2560x1600 AMOLED screen. *drool*

jfed
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I bought 32gb one in March and i am loving it. I dont regret it at all.

Joe
Joe Federsel
Logistics Consultant

NEXUS 7 FIRST GEN 4.4.2 Vanir "Prime is the Man"
Note 2 4.4.2 Slim Kat
Nexus 10 Slim Kat 4.2.2 "wifi is best on jelly bean compared to kitkat for nexus 10"

trickster2369
Old
Thanks Meter 759

DONATE TO ME
You won't be disappointed. It will easily do what you want, except maybe, not get any/many more updates.

Thanks Devs, from my LG G2

Leoisright
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,894

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster2369 View Post
You won't be disappointed. It will easily do what you want, except maybe, not get any/many more updates.

Thanks Devs, from my LG G2
And yet 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 rolled out updates?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Device: Samsung Note 2 and Samsung Nexus 10
Device: Microsoft Surface
Device: Samsung Tab 3 7"
ROM: S5 4.4.2 w/note 3 mods
Kernel: Stock

Nexus 10 Developement

Have helped with many mods and roms over the past 4 years. Devices I've helped include Evo 4G, Evo 4G LTE, Evo 3D, Note 2, HP Touchpad, and Nexus 10

Many thanks to Myn, Virus, Chubbzlou, Ewalk, TMartin, TommyTomatoe, CM, Sac, Platty, XDA, and so many more for helping me over the years to refine my skills

matejilic
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoisright View Post
And yet 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 rolled out updates?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Those are minor point updates. I also think the Nexus 10 won't receive many more updates. Maybe 4.5, but that is a big maybe because they already omitted some aspects of the 4.4 update (transparent navbars and art).
Nexus 10 / 4.4.4 stock
Nexus 4 / 4.4.4 stock

Leoisright
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,894

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by matejilic View Post
Those are minor point updates. I also think the Nexus 10 won't receive many more updates. Maybe 4.5, but that is a big maybe because they already omitted some aspects of the 4.4 update (transparent navbars and art).
It's Googles only 10" tablet so far. I highly doubt they will not add lollipop to it. It's not like they have to rewrite software like the other companies have to. Just work on the binaries and it's good to go.

But I'm optimistic they will continue the updates. They have for the n4 and n7 which both have had new versions come out.
Device: Samsung Note 2 and Samsung Nexus 10
Device: Microsoft Surface
Device: Samsung Tab 3 7"
ROM: S5 4.4.2 w/note 3 mods
Kernel: Stock

Nexus 10 Developement

Have helped with many mods and roms over the past 4 years. Devices I've helped include Evo 4G, Evo 4G LTE, Evo 3D, Note 2, HP Touchpad, and Nexus 10

Many thanks to Myn, Virus, Chubbzlou, Ewalk, TMartin, TommyTomatoe, CM, Sac, Platty, XDA, and so many more for helping me over the years to refine my skills

matejilic
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoisright View Post
It's Googles only 10" tablet so far. I highly doubt they will not add lollipop to it. It's not like they have to rewrite software like the other companies have to. Just work on the binaries and it's good to go.

But I'm optimistic they will continue the updates. They have for the n4 and n7 which both have had new versions come out.
Agreed, I also think they will add the next update, but that will be the last one I'm afraid. Also, I think that the next one will be last for the Nexus 4 as well. Google maintains the software for 18 months, and that expires this month for the Nexus 10 and 4.
Nexus 10 / 4.4.4 stock
Nexus 4 / 4.4.4 stock