Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] What to do when you accidentally use your 64gb card to "Make a bootable sd card"

OP B23X

20th June 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Leapinlar's "Installing CyanogenMod 10.1/10.2 for Dummies" guide was very helpful to me in getting CM 10.1.3 onto my Nook HD+.

Unfortunately, due to me not reading all the way through the guide before using it, I used my 64gb sd card as the bootable card to install CyanogenMod 10.1.3.

The guide says its generally a good idea to keep this card in its bootable state in case the Nook ever fails to boot sometime.

Is there any way to take the data on my 64gb sd card and make an exact copy of it to put on another card? Or better yet is it possible to take the data off the card and save it on my PC, and then later use win32diskimager to make the card bootable again if needed?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I don't intend on leaving my 64gb sd card as a mostly useless wafer for the rest of its life lol.
20th June 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,701

8,428 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23X

Leapinlar's "Installing CyanogenMod 10.1/10.2 for Dummies" guide was very helpful to me in getting CM 10.1.3 onto my Nook HD+.

Unfortunately, due to me not reading all the way through the guide before using it, I used my 64gb sd card as the bootable card to install CyanogenMod 10.1.3.

The guide says its generally a good idea to keep this card in its bootable state in case the Nook ever fails to boot sometime.

Is there any way to take the data on my 64gb sd card and make an exact copy of it to put on another card? Or better yet is it possible to take the data off the card and save it on my PC, and then later use win32diskimager to make the card bootable again if needed?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I don't intend on leaving my 64gb sd card as a mostly useless wafer for the rest of its life lol.

Save the backup folder to your PC as described in the guide. Then use SDFormatter (free on the web) to format the card back to its normal size. Then if you need another bootable card in the future make a new one from a smaller SD. You can transfer the backup data to that new SD in the future if you need to.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Save the backup folder to your PC as described in the guide. Then use SDFormatter (free on the web) to format the card back to its normal size. Then if you need another bootable card in the future make a new one from a smaller SD. You can transfer the backup data to that new SD in the future if you need to.

Thanks for the response. I knew that I could reformat the card, but I was worried about doing that because your very helpful guide says, "However, you should keep the bootable CWM sdcard stored away somewhere in case the Nook ever fails to boot. You can reformat the bootable SD to use as a normal SD, but that is not recommended."

Is there any reason you recommend keeping the sd card in the bootable state versus saving the backup on your computer and then making a new bootable card as needed?

And just to make sure I'm getting this right, you mean I can make a baseline backup (separate from the stock rom backup) and save it on my computer and use that to make a bootable card? Sorry if I'm getting this confused.
20th June 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,701

8,428 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23X

Thanks for the response. I knew that I could reformat the card, but I was worried about doing that because your very helpful guide says, "However, you should keep the bootable CWM sdcard stored away somewhere in case the Nook ever fails to boot. You can reformat the bootable SD to use as a normal SD, but that is not recommended."

Is there any reason you recommend keeping the sd card in the bootable state versus saving the backup on your computer and then making a new bootable card as needed?

And just to make sure I'm getting this right, you mean I can make a baseline backup (separate from the stock rom backup) and save it on my computer and use that to make a bootable card? Sorry if I'm getting this confused.

No, you do not quite have it right.

I'm saying not to keep that 64GB as your bootable SD. I'm saying save the stock backup files you made to your PC. You can make a new smaller bootable SD per the original instructions and transfer the stock backup files from your PC to that new SD. Save that one instead of wasting that big 64GB card.

I say save it instead of making a new one later as the new one later may not boot properly (these things are finicky) and the original one you know worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Ok I got it now thanks for the help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread