Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Q: Volume acting like it's being pressed?

Tip us?

kamikazees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Q: Volume acting like it's being pressed?

Hello, a few hours ago my Nexus 7 suddenly started acting as if I was continuously pressing the volume down key. I could not even power down. Thinking I got a nasty software bug, I installed an app from play that let me reboot. It immediately rebooted into recovery though, just as if I had been holding down the volume key while it booted.

I have slimkat installed with twrp v2.7.0.0. I installed a recovery from before the skimkat installation (stock with root and twrp). But it too rebooted into twrp again (as if I was tapping volume down while it rebooted). So I tried to reboot into the bootloader to see what that would do (it allows you to use the volume keys to make selections). I got to the bootloader and sure enough, it was cycling through the options like I was tapping volume down over and over.

Help? Any ideas? I have pulled off the back cover and cleaned around the volume and power keys. It does not appear anything is wrong with them. Is it a software issue? Hardware? Any help would be appreciated.

kamikazees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok just one update on this issue. I think this is likely a hardware issue. I managed to disconnect the side key cable for the volume and power keys while it was booting, and it booted up just fine.

I am not sure what is wrong with the keys, but the fact that the tablet will boot into system when they are not attached tells me I probably need to replace them. Just FYI for the unlucky person who might also behaving this problem.

offshore tiger
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am also experiencing volume problems. Mine is software related I think. The problem I have is that all volume and sound will disappear as if I have muted all sound. I have no touch sounds, no YouTube sound, no music audio, nothing at all from the speakers or the headphone jack. A reboot will fix it, but after say 10 minutes of use the sound goes again. The volume controls do nothing. Completely stock 4.4.3.
Does anyone else have this issue?