FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Phone not turning on after modem flash

151 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I tried downloading files in this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357 and attempted to flash both the modem and stock ROM using TWRP. The modem flashed successfully but the ROM failed, so I restored to a Nandroid backup I made on CM M6.

I immediately received a message telling me to insert my SIM card. Thinking this was a weird error, I tried to reboot into Recovery and restore again. Only this time my phone did nothing. It's not turning on when it's off and plugged into a power source, it's not turning on in Download mode, it's not booting into recovery, nothing.

I don't know how to fix this without resorting to a JTAG recovery method and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to help me since I don't feel like taking this thing apart.
 
 
20th June 2014, 01:28 AM |#2  
pre4speed's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag lancaster
Thanks Meter: 649
 
Donate to Me
More
I know this may be a long shot, but I've seen it work numerous times. Have you tried removing the battery and leaving it out for a longer time than a few minutes? Worth a shot while waiting for more pro user answers.
20th June 2014, 01:38 AM |#3  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2,377
 
More
Do you have access to a USB jig? I'm not sure that it will work in your case but it's cheaper than using a jtag service.
20th June 2014, 03:08 AM |#4  
Jakeuten's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Duluth
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
mine just bricked for the same reason. same symptoms and everything... ugh

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Free mobile app
20th June 2014, 02:00 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_alvarez2007

I tried downloading files in this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788357 and attempted to flash both the modem and stock ROM using TWRP. The modem flashed successfully but the ROM failed, so I restored to a Nandroid backup I made on CM M6.

I immediately received a message telling me to insert my SIM card. Thinking this was a weird error, I tried to reboot into Recovery and restore again. Only this time my phone did nothing. It's not turning on when it's off and plugged into a power source, it's not turning on in Download mode, it's not booting into recovery, nothing.

I don't know how to fix this without resorting to a JTAG recovery method and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to help me since I don't feel like taking this thing apart.

The thread posted by Enewman does contain a 4.4. debrick image for the i747. Have you tried writing this image to a (micro) SD card and booting from the card? If this works, you could try firmware restoration after booting from the card. If it doesn't work, then you could try the 4.3 debrick image from the link below. With luck, this could still work since the firmware flashing failed...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2549068
20th June 2014, 05:22 PM |#6  
Jakeuten's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Duluth
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

The thread posted by Enewman does contain a 4.4. debrick image for the i747. Have you tried writing this image to a (micro) SD card and booting from the card? If this works, you could try firmware restoration after booting from the card. If it doesn't work, then you could try the 4.3 debrick image from the link below. With luck, this could still work since the firmware flashing failed...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2549068

how do you get the phone to turn on if it's bricked? sorry in all of my years of using android i've never bricked.

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Free mobile app
20th June 2014, 06:46 PM |#7  
BWolf56's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,750
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeuten

how do you get the phone to turn on if it's bricked? sorry in all of my years of using android i've never bricked.

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Free mobile app

If you get a sign of life outta your phone, it's "soft-brick". Otherwise, no sign of life (at all) = "hard-bricked" and a jtag is needed to push the bootloaders back into it.

A jig quite often boots the device in download mode even when people think they hard-bricked (often a miss-interpretation). And if there's a sign of life, it's easily recoverable!

As for turning on while bricked, you need intact bootloaders to boot from.
20th June 2014, 07:20 PM |#8  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,586
 
Donate to Me
More
FYI
Flashing the 4.4.2 modem on 4.3 firmware will hard brick the device. To check for sure, plug into a pc and check in device manager. If it says QHSUSB_DLOAD, you are hard bricked. The debrick.img is posted in enewman's thread, but if you guys need the other firmware files for the 2 sdcard method let me know and ill post them for you.
Ive also posted a script in the debrick thread someone can flash to create a new debrick.img in case the current one doesn't work, and if any I747M users want to be proactive and create one for each of their variants.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 10:26 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

FYI
Flashing the 4.4.2 modem on 4.3 firmware will hard brick the device. To check for sure, plug into a pc and check in device manager. If it says QHSUSB_DLOAD, you are hard bricked. The debrick.img is posted in enewman's thread, but if you guys need the other firmware files for the 2 sdcard method let me know and ill post them for you.
Ive also posted a script in the debrick thread someone can flash to create a new debrick.img in case the current one doesn't work, and if any I747M users want to be proactive and create one for each of their variants.

Thanks for your reply. I was able to flash the modem and update from enewman's thread last night and it booted up once but had no cellular so I turned it off and it was hard bricked

I have DL'd the debrick file an put it on a 16BG card but it will not boot at all, I have tried many times.

Is there anything else that I can do? / If by some chance I get it into DL mode what would my next step be?

I know that the system is on 4.4.2 since I saw it booted up so I don't want to flash 4.3 on it.

Thanks
20th June 2014, 10:53 PM |#10  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,586
 
Donate to Me
More
Ill be posting more info in the debrick thread shortly. Make sure you check there. Also post there for anything else you need while trying to fix this. That way everything is in one thread and it makes it a lot easier for others to assist you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes