5,815,265 Members 39,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sudden Death Syndrome on ATT GS3 i747?

Tip us?

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 211

DONATE TO ME
OK plz let us know how it goes! I don't want to sound rude but your phone would be the only snapdragon I have ever seen fail....and I've been using snapdragons since the s1 on a HTC wildfire s

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)

Top5a
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymonkey05 View Post
OK plz let us know how it goes! I don't want to sound rude but your phone would be the only snapdragon I have ever seen fail....and I've been using snapdragons since the s1 on a HTC wildfire s

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
ZOMG SO RUDE > haha, j/k ;P Yea, no problem, dude/dudette! I know how it feels reading threads with no followup... I'm actually surprised that people have come out of the proverbial woodwork mentioning having similar problems to me ! It really sucks spending inordinate amounts of time reading threads and not arriving at a definitive conclusion... so, yea, I especially want to let people know if there is a fix, and/or how I did it.

So, with regard to what you said about the snapdragons not failing... yea. This is rekking my mind, tbh, because I've just never had a device insta-fail on me like this (aside from some old computer hard drives that were server backed up, but yea that's essentially par for the course on that medium [yay for S.M.A.R.T.]). Especially a device that I'd only had for less than 2 years, and though my GS3 has heavy usage, I treat it very well (no drops, water, etc.)... so, yea.

Also, a minority of people with whom I have spoken via the Šther have also experienced similar emmc failures on i747s, as well ! Which I was not expecting. It's still insane, though, to believe that, out of such a small percentage of phones that could potentially experience SDS, and then which ones actually do experience it... and then to not even have an i9000 and /still/ experience it on an i747... I feel as though I've won the lotto. Except ****ty.

I'm waiting on parts to come in, then surgery will commence.

Helloworld294
Old
Thanks Meter 247
Did you try going into download mode? If you can so that then the phone is fine. Another thing is try reflashing stock Odin which will erase msgs and stuff but not music or pics unless u tick "repartition".

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Phone: Galaxy S I9000M (Bell)
Memory: Int-16GB, Ext-4GB
Rom: THE Hellybean ROM 25/10 by the devil himself
Kernel: Semaphore 2.4.4s 1.0Ghz SmartassV2 Simple I/O
Mod: Super Launcher
Modem: UKG3

Phone: Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M (Bell)
Memory: Int-16GB, Ext-64GB Class 10
Rom: Pwncake's Quantum 4 ~
Kernel: QuantumCore ~
Mod: NONE
Modem/Bootloader:MK5

Phone: LG G3 D852 10B (Bell)
Memory: Int-32GB, Ext-64GB Class 10
Rom: Stock
Kernel: Stock
Bootloader: Locked

Top5a
Old
(Last edited by Top5a; 21st June 2014 at 12:03 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Open serial port...OK
Connecting to the RIFF Box...OK
Firmware Version: 1.37, JTAG Manager Version: 1.56
Selected Resurrector: [Samsung I747 V1.0.5095.46594]

Connecting to the dead body...OK
Detected dead body ID: 0xhexhereisOK[redacted] - CORRECT!
Set I/O Voltage reads as 1.81V, TCK Frequency is 1 MHz

Resurrection sequence started.
Establish communication with the phone...OK
Initializing internal hardware configuration...OK
Uploading resurrector data into memory...OK
Starting communication with resurrector...OK

Detected an Initialized FLASH1 Chip, ID: 0x0015/0x0100 (000000, 0x000400000000 Bytes = 16.00 GB)
Detected an Initialized FLASH2 Chip, ID: 0x0015/0x0100 (000000, 0x000000080000 Bytes = 0.50 MB)

No Resurrection Data is available for the eMMC Chip with Capacity = 16.00GB
WARNING!!! Using Resurrection Data for the eMMC Chip with Capacity = 14,68GB

Flashing the dead body...
ERROR: DCC Loader has reported Error Code = 0x51 (0x000000). Trying to recover...OK
ERROR: DCC Loader has reported Error Code = 0x51 (0x000000). Trying to recover...OK
ERROR: Stopped due to multiple communication errors. Terminating at 0x0003AB3FBE00

Had to reduce the speed to that 2MHz/1MHz to get communication to work. So, 0x51 is a DCC power failure problem... but it is able to detect the initialized chips. So.. not really sure how to proceed at this point. I haven't checked the signal quality on my NRST line, which apparently can cause problems. Some people have increased the voltage from 1.8 to say 1.9, but doing something like that requires me to actually make my own resurrection file, which I haven't had the time to do yet.

Anyone seen a problem with something like this before?

The 000000 is somewhat unsettling, as the chip is apparently supposed to report some ID#? Although, the failures that I'm getting don't seem to be the typical ones that happen when the emmc becomes completely toasted.

Oh, yea... I can't seem to figure out wth is up with --> WARNING!!! Using Resurrection Data for the eMMC Chip with Capacity = 14,68GB

Like..... ??? I think I'm using the most up to date resurrector?!

EDIT: Dumping out the entire contents of the emmc (haven't had errors so far, but it will take a while at 1 MHz), into a bin file (this avoids the bad sectors in the bootloader).

Does anyone know what to do with the resultant *.bin file? I think that if I got another surrogate GS3, I'd be able to write that onto the phone, essentially cloning my dead phone. I'd like to avoid having to do that, though -- does anyone know how to write one of DCC bin jtag file dumps into a readable file system?