Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,868 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Do you care about understanding and optimizing these proccesses?
Yes, I like to streamline my device to the max 2 66.67%
No, I'm just fine leaving these services running 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Let's Find Out the Minimum Amount of Services Needed to Run the Gear and Save Memory!

Tip us?

Dan_Aykroyd
Old
(Last edited by Dan_Aykroyd; 21st June 2014 at 07:44 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Info 2 Let's Find Out the Minimum Amount of Services Needed to Run the Gear and Save Memory!

Hi there!

Yesterday, I've received (quite late, I know!) my Galaxy Gear SM-V700 and proceeded to pair it to me Note 3 running stock 4.2.2.

What I first noticed after touching the phone with the NFC cradle, was that a GAZILLION of things started installing: Gear Manager, Update 1, more than a couple of progresses bar (each installing several stuff), plugins, Samsung App client, Samsung Apps update, Samsung Account, Samsung Account update, Gear1 plugin., etc. etc.!

A lot of applications and services were needed. All the "Apps" suite (Samsung Apps, Samsung Account and their updates) were required to install apps to the Gear. Since there are very few apps for the watch, I installed all I would ever need and proceeded to freeze that suite again without any negative implications to the Gear utilization (or the Gear Manager)

The thing is that for the daily usage, many services were added that are running all the time. My idea would be to:
1) Freeze those that are not needed or are used for features I don't use/care of the Gear (i.e. S Voice, Pedometer)
2) If not possible to freeze, just Greenify the most possible apps without affecting daily usage

So, this is what the Gear left on my device:

APPS/SERVICES THAT RUN AT STARTUP (WITH THE BOOT_COMPLETED INTENT)
ConnectionManager: com.sec.android.service.connectionmanager
Gear1 Plugin: com.samsung.android.gear1plugin
goproviders: com.samsung.accesory.goproviders
NSyncProvider: com.samsung.android.notiproviders.applicationmanag er
Samsung Accesory Service: com.samsung.accessory.core
saproviders: com.samsung.accesory.saproviders

APPS/SERVICES INSTALLED (AS IN TITANIUM BACKUP)
TextTemplateProvider 2.3.0
SANotiProvider 1.0.9.42
NSyncProvider 1.021
Gear1 Plugin 1.7.052101
saproviders 2.0.87
goproviders 2.0.87
WeatherProvider 140521.01_2.0.18
Update Gear software 2.140442.2011
ConnectionManager v 1.1.10
SAFileTransferCore 2.0.18.4.1
Samsung Accesory Service 2.14.41
Gear Manager 2.1.14052101

APPS/SERVICES ALREADY EXISTING IN THE DEVICE
AccuweatherPhone2013.apk
WeatherWidgetDaemon.apk

GREENIFY
Check all of these and each of their memory usage!

To sum it up, my idea would be to know what every app/service affects on the Gear functionality, so each of us could freeze/Greenify those that we don't care for.
The best would be to be able to freeze them, but if this is not possible, at least Greenify them so the "shut down" when the phone is not in use (of course, without breaking the required Gear functionalities!)

I'll do my part and start testing with freezing each of them and check the most possible combinations to see what they do and report back. If possible, please help me out with these by testing that by yourself so we could find out these faster.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
RESULTS (I'll update this section as I reach more conclusions)
APPS/SERVICES THAT CAN BE FROZEN
AccuweatherPhone2013.apk, WeatherWidgetDaemon.apk: if you don't want the weather to show neither on the clock face or the Gear weather app. Also needed for Accuweather Widget on the phone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Aykroyd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JT man
Old
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Thanks, great find!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk