Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 52,642 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is the S5 physically capable of receiving FM radio?

Tip us?

Xanode
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Is the S5 physically capable of receiving FM radio?

Does the snapdragon quad-core version of the S5(SM - G900i) actually have the hardware inside it to be capable of receiving FM radio, rooted or not?

That's one thing i think Samsung made a huge mistake with, not including an FM radio, don't know about other countries but here in Australia FM radio is still hugely popular, i was quite pissed when i looked and didn't find one when i powered mine up for the first time. We don't have unlimited mobile data in aus so all this streaming BS is too costly.

Thanks for any help.

nudawa
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I still think an FM reciever is more pratical use than a heart rate sensor. But I dont mind because most people dont listen to FM radio anymore (the last fone I own that has FM radio is HTC Evo 3D)
The answer is no. There is no FM reciever built into the Galaxy S5 or most of new phone nowadays.
All you can do is listen to in through online broadcast.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

ssp_123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool App for online broadcast :S5 FM radio fix

FM RADIO INDIA ALL STATIONS
Malhotra Web Solutions - 28 May 2014
Music & Audio

Google play app,reliable and doesnt need earphones to be plugged in... excellent buffering in the device,more stations than can possibly be expected.Even without using headphones (Wi-Fi recommended over data plans)

ZerosAndOnes
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I believe only the Sprint Galaxy S5 (G900P) has the FM radio buiilt in.
PPC6700 > Mogul > Touch Pro 2 > Galaxy S Epic > Nexus S 4G > Evo LTE > Galaxy S4 > Galaxy S5