No registration required

[Q] Playing 1080p content

OP neotheone11

21st June 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about replacing my old media player with something more powerful. Ideally, I want to be able to play AVC, VC1 and MPEG-2 encoded video files (1080p) with AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, FLAC and TrueHD audio tracks without any slow downs. If I am not mistaken, Fire TV supports neither hardware decoding of VC1 nor DTS-MA and TrueHD passthrough. So, my questions are the following:

1. Shouldn't a quad core CPU combined with the Adreno 320 GPU be able to play VC1 content without stuttering even if there is no hardware decoding? If so, could a future update to XBMC/VLC/{insert player name} fix this?
2. Is there a chance that a custom rom will be developed for Fire TV which will allow the core tracks of DTS-MA and TrueHD (i.e. DTS and AC3) to be passed through instead of stereo?

If the answer to #1 and #2 is "No", then could you please suggest a decent media player that can run XBMC and plays all 1080p content without a hitch? I've looked into the latest Amlogic based devices such as Minix Neo X8 and Tronsmart Vega S89, but they too seem to have issues with playing some high definition content (I am not sure whether it is the fault of hardware or software).

Thank you
Last edited by neotheone11; 21st June 2014 at 02:52 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread