Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,038 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Play Visibility

Tip us?

mattcorby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Play Visibility

About 18 months ago, I released an app called SureFire Alarm Clock - with no advertising or marketing to speak of, it has slowly increased in the search for "alarm clock" from around the 340th app to around the 35th app.

I have just released a new app called Life Time Alarm Clock, and downloads are terrible. The problem is, I think, that 1 - there is no longer a "new free" section (that I can easily find), 2 - search results stop at #250. I know that almost nobody goes down to #250 when searching for someone, but a small trickle of people would, so my app slowly floated to the top.

I have learned a lot from developing my 1st alarm clock app, and spent much more time on my second one. I can say without a doubt, it is a MUCH better app in every aspect. So my question is - how do I get this app to at least to #250 of the search results for "alarm clock" that it can slowly float towards the top on its own?

I'm not sure that I want to risk a ton of advertising money on this - software development is not my primary occupation, and I'm becoming a little skeptical about apps being able to make a profit on being a "good app" alone. I've tried getting my app on a review site, but they all seem like a scam to get money from developers. I've tried $30 worth of advertising on Facebook as a test, and only got about 100 downloads from that (for a free app). All the other advertising seems like even more of a scam.

Does anyone know how a developer can make it into the search rankings without laying down a lot of money? It's not that I'm not willing to spend ANY money, I just don't want to risk A LOT.

mattcorby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry, app visibility is no longer much of a problem - I have been reviewed on five sites between today and yesterday. Looks like i was freaking out over nothing.

ExoticHamster
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Did you actively seek out those reviews? If so, could you recommend some sites?

Crichton333
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcorby View Post
Sorry, app visibility is no longer much of a problem - I have been reviewed on five sites between today and yesterday. Looks like i was freaking out over nothing.
Post links of those reviews here ? Or just the site names atleast.
"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Yutu Aliens Free -- Proud owner: Sony Xperia J

mattcorby
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't believe I have enough posts to put up links yet. You can do a search in Google for "Life Time Alarm Clock" and you will see the reviews.

I was on Droid-Life first, then Android Authority a few hours later - that's when downloads really started picking up. I went from 3-16 downloads per day to 12,000 downloads in a two day period. The next day I got a little over 2,000 downloads, and the next day, a little over 1,000 downloads. I was also on the App Brain "Hot Today" list for a little while, as well as minor features in Android Police and Droid Informer (short reviews along with several other apps). Life Time is also on some sites speaking Portuguese, Spanish, and Russian, which is odd, because I have ZERO localization right now (which I'm working my butt off to fix right now).

I expect my downloads to go down quite a bit further before they start picking back up again. One thing that I have learned from this, is you never know what to expect when you launch an app. This is my second alarm clock app. My first one was SureFire alarm clock, which never really took off too well, and has remained a steady 150-300 downloads per day for about the last year or so. I thought that from all my feedback, I knew what customers would want - I was wrong.

The problem is, SureFire was >90% American customers, while Life Time has been <40% American customers. The app was not designed to be used outside of the U.S., but I don't want to turn those customers away. I've been getting HAMMERED in the ratings for not having localization or 24 hour support - things that no one cared about with SureFire, so I assumed they would not care about in Life Time.

Also, Life Time customers seem to be smarter about Android - there are much more "bare" Android phones, such as the Nexus 4 and 5, and the Moto X. They want more integration with the Android system - Daydreams, setting alarms via Google Now, etc.

I was planning on working hard to implement features for in-app purchases so that I can finally make some money on this app, but I'll be working on pleasing my unexpected customers for the next few weeks.