Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 54,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need Help Recovering from Keyboard Remap Error

Tip us?

crimpo
Old
(Last edited by crimpo; 18th June 2014 at 11:08 PM.) Reason: Found the problem. Extra characters in generic.kl! Duh!
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Need Help Recovering from Keyboard Remap Error

I wanted to post this as a reply to the thread that described what I tried to do which is posted in the S5 Android Development forum but since I am a newbie it wouldn't let me post there. The thread described how to remap the Capacitive Recents / Menu key so that it becomes a Menu/Recents key (i.e swap the short/long press functions). After making the prescribed edits to generic.kl and gpio-keys.kl, I couldn't figure out how to perform the last step to edit android.policy.jar. After scratching my head for a while I read the rest of the thread and found that you can only do this on a deodexed ROM.

I then went back in and edited the generic.kl and gpio-keys.kl files to the way they originally were. However, after rebooting I found that now neither the Recents/Menu capacitive key nor the Back key are working. When pressed, they light up but nothing else happens. To make matters worse, the Power key does work either. So when the unit turns itself off I now have to pull the battery, then I can press the Power key to boot the phone back up. However, once the phone has booted pressing the power key again does nothing - neither a short nor a long press.

I have looked over the edits to those two files carefully but don't see what I've screwed up. I even copied them to my PC and used Notepad++ to see if anything would be obvious. I have now done everything I can think of with no effect including a complete factory reset.

Can someone upload their working copies of these two files so I can compare to mine and see what I've done? If you have any other theories, I'd appreciate hearing them as well. Thanks in advance!

sbtm
Old
(Last edited by sbtm; 21st June 2014 at 07:25 AM.) Reason: uploaded wrong file
Thanks Meter 0
I was trying to disable the Home key from waking the device up, and I screwed my Generic.kl up as well. I changed it back (but not my gpio-keys.kl) and got the keys working again. The file is attached. Rename and drop the ".c" off of the end (had to do that to make it a valid file to upload).

And, no, I have not had success disabling the home key while the phone is sleeping.
Attached Files
File Type: c gpio-keys.kl.c - [Click for QR Code] (1.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: c Generic.kl.c - [Click for QR Code] (9.2 KB, 5 views)