Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,840 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do I have a hardware problem?

Tip us?
 
lmacmil
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Do I have a hardware problem?

My Nook HD was running 10.1.3 stable just fine until a week ago when it started freezing and rebooting. (Coincidentally or not, the problem started after it spent several hours in a very hot car in 100+ outside temps). I restored the stock ROM and then did a clean install of 10.2.1 stable. It very quickly started doing the same thing. Based on the suggestion of someone who had a similar problem, I just installed the M6 snapshot and within 10 minutes I got my first freeze/reboot. I did forget to do the factory reset/wipe data step on this last install but I have removed all the apps that were installed in the month or so prior to the start of the freeze/reboot issue. I suppose I can do a clean install but given the same problem with 3 different CM versions, I find it hard to believe it's a software issue.

Is the Nook HD one of the devices affected by the EMMC bug? Is it possible to run any of the stable CM versions off the SD card? Any other suggestions?
 
leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 19th June 2014 at 01:00 AM.)
#2  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3600
Posts: 8,190
Join Date: Oct 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
I still think it is one of your apps that Google automatically updates. It is not necessarily one you installed recently, just one that updated recently. Try installing a CM with a clean install and do not flash gapps. Try running that for a while. If it still acts up without gapps and it downloading apps, it is a hardware issue.

And there are SD installs by bokbokan for the HD that seems stable, but are not labeled as such.

And I have not heard of an HD with the emmc chip bug.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
 
lmacmil
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
I still think it is one of your apps that Google automatically updates. It is not necessarily one you installed recently, just one that updated recently. Try installing a CM with a clean install and do not flash gapps. Try running that for a while.

And there are SD installs by bokbokan for the HD that seems stable, but are not labeled as such.

And I have not heard of an HD with the emmc chip bug.
I'll try that. I've got nothing to lose at this point!

But suppose that fixes the issue, how do I identify which Google app was the culprit? Can I install them one at a time from the Play Store or do I have to flash the gapps package and then I'm back where I started? Other than Gmail, I could probably live without any of the others.
 
leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 19th June 2014 at 01:08 AM.)
#4  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3600
Posts: 8,190
Join Date: Oct 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I'll try that. I've got nothing to lose at this point!

But suppose that fixes the issue, how do I identify which Google app was the culprit? Can I install them one at a time from the Play Store or do I have to flash the gapps package and then I'm back where I started? Other than Gmail, I could probably live without any of the others.
When you set up gapps tell it not to automatically keep your apps up to date. It is one of the check boxes on the set up screen. Then install the third party apps one at a time (starting with Gmail) and see what happens. And I did not say it was a Google app causing the issue, just some third party app that Play Store automatically installs because you told it to. Play Store is part of gapps so if you do not install gapps, Play Store cannot install anything since it is not there.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
 
lmacmil
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
When you set up gapps tell it not to automatically keep your apps up to date. It is one of the check boxes on the set up screen. Then install the third party apps one at a time (starting with Gmail) and see what happens. And I did not say it was a Google app causing the issue, just some third party app that Play Store automatically installs because you told it to. Play Store is part of gapps so if you do not install gapps, Play Store cannot install anything since it is not there.
Ok, I did a factory reset and installed CWM and the M6 Snapshot. I did not flash gapps but I see Gmail, Google, Google Settings, Play Store and Hangouts. Where did those come from? I have not set up my Google account. It will not recognize my SD card and when I go to settings and select "mount SD card" it freezes for a minute or two. I've tried this 3 times and twice it came back and said "settings has stopped". Maybe this is a CM11 bug.

So now what? Install apps one at a time (after I setup my Google account) and see what happens? I can't really do much without apps. At the very least, I need the Kindle app and Overdrive (which lets me download books from my library.) I also use the XDA app a lot.
 
leapinlar
Old
#6  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3600
Posts: 8,190
Join Date: Oct 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
Ok, I did a factory reset and installed CWM and the M6 Snapshot. I did not flash gapps but I see Gmail, Google, Google Settings, Play Store and Hangouts. Where did those come from? I have not set up my Google account. It will not recognize my SD card and when I go to settings and select "mount SD card" it freezes for a minute or two. I've tried this 3 times and twice it came back and said "settings has stopped". Maybe this is a CM11 bug.

So now what? Install apps one at a time (after I setup my Google account) and see what happens? I can't really do much without apps. At the very least, I need the Kindle app and Overdrive (which lets me download books from my library.) I also use the XDA app a lot.
go back to CM10.1.3. It is a known quantity. There will be no gapps there. You just want to prove you don't have a hardware problem. Once that is proved, try to isolate the app issue.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
 
lmacmil
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
go back to CM10.1.3. It is a known quantity. There will be no gapps there. You just want to prove you don't have a hardware problem. Once that is proved, try to isolate the app issue.
OK, I'm back to 10.1.3 with no gapps. Not much I can do except browse the web. I might have found something. As soon as I inserted my SD card that has photos on it, it started acting funny. It was sluggish and the screen was slow to rotate (it actually rotated about 45 deg and hung there for several seconds.) It did not automatically mount the SD card and when I selected "Mount SD card" after a few seconds it came back and said "Setting has stopped. Do you want to close it?" I removed the SD card and it seems OK again. I put the SD card in my card reader and it has apparently become corrupted. I inserted a new SD card with just a few pictures on it and it mounts itself and everything seems fine.

It appears that a bad SD card was causing my problems. Does that seem plausible? Should I flash the gapps or can I setup my Google account and download them from the Play Store?
 
leapinlar
Old
#8  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3600
Posts: 8,190
Join Date: Oct 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
OK, I'm back to 10.1.3 with no gapps. Not much I can do except browse the web. I might have found something. As soon as I inserted my SD card that has photos on it, it started acting funny. It was sluggish and the screen was slow to rotate (it actually rotated about 45 deg and hung there for several seconds.) It did not automatically mount the SD card and when I selected "Mount SD card" after a few seconds it came back and said "Setting has stopped. Do you want to close it?" I removed the SD card and it seems OK again. I put the SD card in my card reader and it has apparently become corrupted. I inserted a new SD card with just a few pictures on it and it mounts itself and everything seems fine.

It appears that a bad SD card was causing my problems. Does that seem plausible? Should I flash the gapps or can I setup my Google account and download them from the Play Store?
Yes that could be your problem.

If you want gapps you must flash the correct zip. There is no other way to get them. And be sure when setting up to uncheck having Google keep you up to date. That way you can reinstall your apps one at a time.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
 
lmacmil
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Yes that could be your problem.

If you want gapps you must flash the correct zip. There is no other way to get them. And be sure when setting up to uncheck having Google keep you up to date. That way you can reinstall your apps one at a time.
It's been 2 days since I reflashed 10.2.1 stable and everything is working fine. So I guess I did have a hardware problem (bad SD card), just not the hardware I thought it was.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


LifeStats Automatic Journal Keeps Tabs of Your Day

Most of us live very active lives. This is after all why we’re fans of mobile … more

Android App Review: Hide Your Files with Androignito – XDA Developer TV

Stop right now, look at your phone, and see how many pictures, … more

BrightNotes Makes Cloud Notes Simple and Easy

There are literally thousands of note taking apps available on Android, with practically every … more

Google Glass XE20.1 Update Brings Improved Contacts, Head Nudge, New Cards and Commands

Ever since Google unveiled Android Wear earlier this … more