Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 52,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Huge Increase in data usage!

Tip us?

flhr2003
Old
(Last edited by flhr2003; 19th June 2014 at 03:52 PM.) Reason: More Information
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Huge Increase in data usage!

I just change phones from the Galaxy S3 to a Note 3 on Verizon. Of course, they cancelled my unlimited data. They told me it shouldn't be a problem since my data history for 2 years has been between .8-1.4 gigs. Now that I've switched the first partial month was 4 GB and the second full month was nearly 6 GB. I have the phone set up the same as before and actually have not left the house/office nearly as much as usual due to recent changes in my business. Has anyone seen the insane increase in data usage and do you have any suggestions? Oddly, the main culprit seems the be my Email Exchange Server which is set to check every hour and is not set to push. I also have is set to only download attachments on WiFi. Internet searching on Chrome seems to use a ton also, considering how little I use it. I have notice at times that if the screen shuts off so does the WiFi. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Additionally, I have the stock android 4.4.2 update already installed and did not have that with my S3.

brex91
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I didnt notice any increase (fascinate- razr- note 2- s4- note 3) Other than when I first got a 4g phone (razr) and only beacuse I was getting 150kbbs on 3g vs 25mbbs on 4g - started streaming/downloading more.

I wouldn't have given up that unlimited data though, Im keeping mine as long as possible.

tagmwar
Old
Thanks Meter 11
You didn't mention if you have looked at data usage. That should tell you What is using the most data.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

flhr2003
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I wish I didn't have to give up the unlimited, but they made me get a new contact and there was no way to keep it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

flhr2003
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oddly, it is almost entirely my exchange email. Even the Verizon people said, on the really bad day, that it would be difficult to send that much email in one day. Especially with the download attachments checked to only happen on WiFi.

donc113
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhr2003 View Post
I wish I didn't have to give up the unlimited, but they made me get a new contact and there was no way to keep it.

They lied to you then. To keep unlimited all you have to do is pay full price for the phone.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

airmaxx23
Old
Thanks Meter 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by donc113 View Post
They lied to you then. To keep unlimited all you have to do is pay full price for the phone.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
I still have mine and do not intend to get rid of it. Since they turned 4G on in my area a few months ago I've been using more data each month, I never use WiFi since I constantly have a 30-40MB 4G connection. I've used 77GB so far this month without tethering at all and there are still a couple days left in this billing cycle..
*** Please don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button if someone has helped you ***

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine"