Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Your Thoughts on the Amazon Fire Phone?

OP xVxM4tthewxVx

19th June 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

39 posts
Amazon recently announced the Fire Phone, a new device in the "Fire" line of devices. During its unveiling, Amazon showed off some of the features the phone will be offering, like glasses free 3D Dynamic Perspective, Mayday, and Firefly. I would like to know your thoughts on this device. Does it stand a chance against the big guys like Samsung or Apple?

Leave your thoughts below!
19th June 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #2  
Flag Glenview, IL
Thanks Meter: 83

213 posts
More
My thoughts...
Wayyyyy too expensive.
Disappointed there isn't wireless charging.
It would need google apps.
Would have liked to see voice activated features. Preferably with the screen off..cough..moto x
Disappointed it's not 1080p.
Would have liked front facing speakers.
Needs some type of water resistance.
If it had these things I'd buy it.

What I liked...
Love the one handed operation, the three pane views switching back and fourth by flicking your wrist.
Like the hardware, quad core 2.2ghz w 2g of ram.
The 3d perspective is cool. Although I've yet to determine if it's gimmicky or can be useful.

All in all...I won't buy it.

My ideal phone would be if the fire phone had a baby with the moto x +1.
I'd adopt that thing, and raise it and love it like it's my own ;p
19th June 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
I'll be honest, I want to be excited and at the same time it feels like this phone would've owned the market... in 2013. The coolest thing it has going for it is the dynamic screen but spec wise I can't really find a reason to upgrade from my Nexus 5. I really hope the phone does well just so the next iteration is more fleshed and honestly the real deal breaker is not being able to have access to my apps on Google Play.
19th June 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 73

123 posts
Donate to Me
More
Angry
A 2014 "Flagship" phone with 720p, 4.2, No google play, 4.7" screen ?!
Sounds like 2012 spec with a 2014 price tag !! 650$ ?! say what ?!

I would be much happier with an LG G3.

Besides all of that, the Fire is only relevant to the American customer.

Gonna be a MAJOR FLOP aka HTC EVO.
19th June 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag Metro Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 231

1,398 posts
More
I had the evo 3d, good phone, bad gimmick camera.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
21st June 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #6  
It has some interesting features, that could be useful. Including what is to make it easier to use phone while shopping at B&Ms to find it on Amazon....

Though I'm not sure how I would live on a phone that can't get apps from Google, along with the ones that are in Amazon AppStore, but I have paid version from Google Play and don't want to pay again to Amazon.... OTOH, I would expect it to update its apps automatically, which is something I find annoying with AppStore on my phone (especially since it puts the install button right above the home button....)

Also, not sure whether I could live on an android device that isn't rooted. My main favorite app is DataSync, so the long running games progress is sync'd between devices. Sure, Amazon has WhisperSync for games, but it requires that the app developer to use the progress sync feature from it and there are games that claim to use it but don't. TitaniumBackup is another favorite. Plus I've paid for these apps on Google....

OTOH, I find that I'm moving away from smartphones....somebody needs to come up with a (tiny) phone/mobile hotspot combo and then I can tether my tablet when I need to. And, not have to figure out how to carry a phablet all the time....

In fact, the last 3 times I was faced with switching devices, I considered not getting a smartphone...Last time, I strongly considered just getting a mobile hotspot and a basic phone....but service price is cheaper for a smartphone with tethering...

Also downgrading from a 4.7" 1080p phone to a 4.7" 720p phone...hmmm

Hopefully it supports tethering....

Plus no wireless charging was disappointing, something that would be a strong consideration for future devices that I get....

The Dreamer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread