Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 52,870 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] copying to new sd card

Tip us?

tallnuttoz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] copying to new sd card

Hi,

ok, I'm stupid.. I thought this would be easy.. but having a nightmare. How can I transfer all my data to a new sd card on the same phone?? In the past, when I've got a new phone, I just put the old sd card in the new phone and hey presto, everything is there... but on the same phone, this seems amazingly difficult..
I am using android 4.2.1. I have tried copying data in every way I can think of in an ubuntu and mac pc to the new card, then putting it back in the phone. It ALLWAYS fails to see the new sd card in gallery and apps. i.e. any apps that were on the sd card have gone and the gallery will not see the new sd card. Some apps will see the new card, like poweramp (mps) but not others.. I put the original sd card back in the phone and then everything is fine again, but I cannot move any apps or data off it or clear any caches - they are all greyed out. All data for the card always says 'calculating' and never displays... in any app, ES file explorer, files manager, system settings apps, etc. Seems like this is a fatal problem and I am stuck with the 16GB original card or nothing (wanted a new 32 GB). Apps like colornote dissappear, but I need all the notes on it, there are some very important ones..

I have titanium backup, can I use that to do it?? But I always find the usage of that app inpenetrably complicated...

Thanks for any help, going mad here.. surely this should be easy??!!!!

T.

theErock
Old
Thanks Meter 31
So I'm a horrible reader, but essentially are you having trouble moving apps + data from phone to a new SD card? Are you rooted?

Sent from XT912
[AOSP/4.3] [ROM] Eclipse v5.1 build 6 spyder

tallnuttoz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes, wharever I do to transfer to the new sd, I loose apps and data. File explorer and other apps will see it but not core apps like gallery and others.

theErock
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnuttoz View Post
Yes, wharever I do to transfer to the new sd, I loose apps and data. File explorer and other apps will see it but not core apps like gallery and others.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.buak.Link2SD

Try this app it allows you to transfer app with data & cache to SD card I hope this helps.

Sent from XT912

tallnuttoz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, but thats not what I want to do. I want to copy my existing sd card to a new, bigger one, not transfer apps from internal storage to an sd.

theErock
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Oh well then to do that wouldn't you need to back up what is on your old SD card on to your phone the insert the new SD card and transfer them from your phone to new SD card?

Sent from XT912

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

And did you have your new SD card formatted by your phone before you started transferring apps &data?

Sent from XT912

tallnuttoz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theErock View Post
Oh well then to do that wouldn't you need to back up what is on your old SD card on to your phone the insert the new SD card and transfer them from your phone to new SD card?

Sent from XT912
erm.. yes.

that's what I have tried, but apps that are on the phone, when I try to start them, say 'app not intsalled' and gallery dhows no photos, even though they are there on the card.

theErock
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Hmmm...sorry I'm at a loss

Sent from XT912

tallnuttoz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theErock View Post

Sent from XT912

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

And did you have your new SD card formatted by your phone before you started transferring apps &data?

Sent from XT912
yes.. everything is fat32. but you are saying I need to reformat the card actually in a phone then yransfer everything from my comp? Why then can some apps already see the card but not gallery? How can I only format the card in android. The only option in the seytings is 'erase sd card '. Is this the same thing?

theErock
Old
Thanks Meter 31
When you mount a new SD card (if I'm correct) its formatted for the phone specifically.

Sent from XT912

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

OK maybe try using titanium back up to back up all your apps and data to old SD card then transfer titanium back up files from the old to new the insert the new SD card in your phone and extract files using titanium.

Sent from XT912