Originally Posted by BennyCat
Now, how do I intercept the rom file after kies has downloaded it but
before it attempts to install it and fails?
Not sure if you've managed it now?
Anyway here is how you do it, also may be useful for others too, I've done this in the past, although I was doing an emergency recovery instead of an upgrade, this works either way.
I take absolutely no credit for this:
Here is a guide to save the firmware during your kies update,so u can save that firmware for future use .i just copy paste this from some where else
1. On your pc, windows explorer, check the option "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers".
2. Now connect your phone to pc via kies to begin the firmware upgrade.
3. Kies will begin to download the firmware files...
a. The files will be saved under a tmp file called "tmp****.tmp"
(NB: **** can be any letters or numbers, e.g. In my two times of upgrade via kies,
first timethe tmp files was "tmpA4CE.tmp", and on the second it was "tmpD900.tmp"
b. In Windows 7, this tmp file is located at, C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp
(NB: * is the pc user session name, e.g. C:\Users\Spacks\AppData\Local\Temp)
4. When download is complete, kies decompresses this tmp file into a folder called
"tmp****.tmp.zipfolder" and begins the firmware upgrading process.
a. The folder has same name as the tmp file but now with an extention of .zipfolder.
(So scroll through the folders in the same directory to locate it).
b. When kies begins the upgrade process starting from 1% until it reaches 100%,
quickly copy the "tmp****.tmp.zipfolder" to your desktop.
You have about 2 to 3 minutes to do this. Kies will delete the folder once upgrade is 100% (completed).
5. The "tmp****.tmp.zipfolder" contains all the firmware files kies has used to upgrade your phone.
Now you have a backup of official firmware from kies. This is also useful in case kies fails to complete the upgrade process.
Credit to & quoted guide by blackperl @ androidforums.com