Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[solved] Power Button gets stuck pressed

Tip us?

isroisro
Old
(Last edited by isroisro; 7th June 2014 at 07:40 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [solved] Power Button gets stuck pressed

Some M8 phones have the problem of the power button getting stuck in the plastic around it and thus keeping itself pressed.

In this case you see this on the screen: "to restart your phone press and hold the power and volume up buttons for 10 seconds."

OF COURSE you can get this fixed through warranty.

If you don't want to do that cause you don't want to wait, you can do what I did.

(I am not responsible if this doesn't work well for you and I guess that after this procedure they won't replace the button for free anymore)

Steps:

1. Get a flat screwdriver. Heat it over stove, but not until it.s red, just until it is a little hot. It's better to heat it a little, try it, if it doesn't work heat a little more and so on. Otherwise, if it's too hot, when you touch the button it will melt everything around it and way too far into the button.

2. Put the screwdriver on some surface and keep it steady with the end sticking out. Hold the opposite side of the button a little pressed so that the part of the button that catches on the plastic sticks out.

3. Bring the phone towards the screwdriver carefully so that you melt that edge of the power button just a little bit. Just melt the edge, so you give it a slope like this / , not the entire side of the button.

Finally, you should get the same results as you can see in my pics. It's barely visible that the button has been tampered with and for me it's way better than waiting for weeks for the warranty to repair it.

Cheers and be careful not to get that screw driver too hot or too far into the button.

LE: be careful that the IR blaster is on the left side of the button, if you look at the phone from the front. In my case I had to melt the right side which is about 3/4 lengths away from the IR blaster. If you melt the side of the button that has the IR blaster in it, I'm not sure what would happen. The IR blaster should be fine, but the curvature of the button that you add by melting might deflect the light. Not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20000106_100350.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	2785011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20000106_100339.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	2785012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20000106_100332.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	2785016  

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by isroisro View Post
Some M8 phones have the problem of the power button getting stuck in the plastic around it and thus keeping itself pressed.

In this case you see this on the screen: "to restart your phone press and hold the power and volume up buttons for 10 seconds."

If you don't want to do that cause you don't want to wait, you can do what I did.

(I am not responsible if this doesn't work well for you and I guess that after this procedure they won't replace the button for free anymore)

Steps:

1. Get a flat screwdriver. Heat it over stove, but not until it.s red, just until it is a little hot. It's better to heat it a little, try it, if it doesn't work heat a little more and so on. Otherwise, if it's too hot, when you touch the button it will melt everything around it and way too far into the button.

2. Put the screwdriver on some surface and keep it steady with the end sticking out. Hold the opposite side of the button a little pressed so that the part of the button that catches on the plastic sticks out.

3. Bring the phone towards the screwdriver carefully so that you melt that edge of the power button just a little bit. Just melt the edge, so you give it a slope like this / , not the entire side of the button.

Finally, you should get the same results as you can see in my pics. It's barely visible that the button has been tampered with and for me it's way better than waiting for weeks for the warranty to repair it.

Cheers and be careful not to get that screw driver too hot or too far into the button.
And your IR is still in order no damage from heat etc?

isroisro
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
The IR is fine. It's on the other side of the button. It's about 1/4 th of the button. so 3/4 distance away from the melted part.
The Following User Says Thank You to isroisro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Not sure why this is a problem as the button doesn't seem to go far enough in to cause this problem, however it's not something I would do. I would have just got a small thin implement and just added a little Vaseline or Petroleum jelly around the sides of the button, making sure to work it down the sides of the button. That should be enough.

jonny4
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by isroisro View Post

Steps:

LE: be careful that the IR blaster is on the left side of the button, if you look at the phone from the front. In my case I had to melt the right side which is about 3/4 lengths away from the IR blaster. If you melt the side of the button that has the IR blaster in it, I'm not sure what would happen. The IR blaster should be fine, but the curvature of the button that you add by melting might deflect the light. Not sure.
Here is the real question. Why does this suddenly start happening after owning the phone for 2.5 months and it never being dropped. What has changed is I started using the Dot View Case right before this started happening.