Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 39,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z2 gets GPS location extremely slowly

Tip us?

dandv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Thumbs down Xperia Z2 gets GPS location extremely slowly

Has anyone else experience very slow GPS fixes if "Device only" mode is enable (for example because you don't want your data leaked to Google by enabling "High accuracy")? I thought this phone was supposed to support GLONASS, in addition to GPS.

I've always used GPS alone on my old Nexus One, and today I ran a test, with both devices freshly rebooted and in the same location. The N1 took 28 seconds to get a fix. The Xperia Z2 took 2 minutes and 16 seconds. This is with the latest firmware, .402. (With the previous one, FW:17.1.A.2.55, GPS worked a little faster, but still took about a minute or so, in plain outdoors with no trees or tall buildings around).
Visit my hand-picked selection of Best Android apps on the Android Users' wiki

Pheonix320
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having the same problem too using Strava. Can't get a fix at all

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

X-Navigator
Old
(Last edited by X-Navigator; 21st June 2014 at 06:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandv View Post
Has anyone else experience very slow GPS fixes if "Device only" mode is enable (for example because you don't want your data leaked to Google by enabling "High accuracy")? I thought this phone was supposed to support GLONASS, in addition to GPS.

I've always used GPS alone on my old Nexus One, and today I ran a test, with both devices freshly rebooted and in the same location. The N1 took 28 seconds to get a fix. The Xperia Z2 took 2 minutes and 16 seconds. This is with the latest firmware, .402. (With the previous one, FW:17.1.A.2.55, GPS worked a little faster, but still took about a minute or so, in plain outdoors with no trees or tall buildings around).
Based on my experience this is due to gps configuration file: fix that and signal get fixed much more fast and position gets more accurate... Before editing that file you need root and you should know what you are doing, because messing up with its content can bring longer time to fix and less accurate position. A better explanation is long and technical, so I kindly invite you to search more on this topic, if you're interested in
Tags
glonass, gps, gps speed, slow