Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,557 Members 52,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Broken - help please...

Tip us?

targett
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Broken - help please...

I have a relatively new (refurbished) nexus 7 (2012) that got a sudden fault of not turning on at all.
When plugged in I get the normal charging icons (central screen) as when the tablet is off.
Unplugged it does nothing with any button press: power, power + all combination of volume buttons.
Pledged in it does something only with power button - backlight turns on with dark background and flickering stripes of static.

Plugging into pc shows nothing.

It's been sent if for repair and they said the battery was ploughed in backwards! And they've swapped it around.
I don't get how it worked for a month if it was the wrong way around in the first place.
Sent back to me this week with no change!!

Suggestions of ways to resolve it my self?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Touch HD > Touch HD2 > Desire HD > HTC One X+ > HTC One (M7), Eee Pad Transformer & 2x Nexus 7 (2013) (for the kids)

wilzard
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by targett View Post
I have a relatively new (refurbished) nexus 7 (2012) that got a sudden fault of not turning on at all.
When plugged in I get the normal charging icons (central screen) as when the tablet is off.
Unplugged it does nothing with any button press: power, power + all combination of volume buttons.
Pledged in it does something only with power button - backlight turns on with dark background and flickering stripes of static.

Plugging into pc shows nothing.

It's been sent if for repair and they said the battery was ploughed in backwards! And they've swapped it around.
I don't get how it worked for a month if it was the wrong way around in the first place.
Sent back to me this week with no change!!

Suggestions of ways to resolve it my self?

You can open the back plate of the Nexus 7 yourself. It comes off fairly easily. You can then see if the charging port is clear of debris, if it might be slightly bent out of shape, or if somehow the battery is connected backwards... LOL. That seems highly unlikely to me.

What you are describing sounds more like sleep of death, or what happens when you drain the n7 battery completely. Something is wonky with the firmware and it "forgets" how to charge when the battery is too low. Doing this off the top of my head but I think what you are supposed to do is;
1 - plug in charger, which starts the charging animation.
2 - hold power+volume up+volume down to boot into the bootloader
3 - using the volume buttons to scroll, select reboot (or recovery)
4 - quickly unplug then plug back in the charging cable. Timing is key.

There is a thread in the Q&A forums with other methods if I didn't write that down right, or it if doesn't work.
GS4 - Sacs Custom 4.3 ROM v5 / MK2 Baseband / TWRP 2.7 / MF9 bootloader
Nexus 7 2012 - SlimKat / TWRP 2.7 / m-kernel a67

targett
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Problem solved!

I popped open the back cover to find the connection from the battery to the main board nut fitting tightly all the way in (only by about 5mm). Pushed it in and secured it.

Now it's working perfectly! [emoji106][emoji41]

Touch HD > Touch HD2 > Desire HD > HTC One X+ > HTC One (M7), Eee Pad Transformer & 2x Nexus 7 (2013) (for the kids)