NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8-Gigabit RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[ROOT][HOWTO] Disable Lockscreen Ads

OP Souple

21st June 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

2 posts
WARNING: I am not responsible for any bricked devices caused by attempting this howto. If you haven't read this how to twice, and fully understand the requirements, then please don't attempt it.

Introduction (not important):
First, this may not be the best way to do this, and if someone knows a better way, I'll be happy to listen.
I kinda stumbled across this solution after trying the many other ways to solve the problem, but all the other ways seemed to have something incomplete with them and ended with no ADS, but no something else, like rotating lock screens or something.

I started with the assumption that the ADS program (dtcp) can be disabled through a flag somewhere on the system, for if you pay the extra $20 you get a kindle with no ADS, but same Android build. After looking through lots of sqlite databases I found it in the com.android.providers.settings/settings.db file.

Prerequisites:
  • Basic knowledge of databases
  • SQLite Editor Pro (Free on 1Mobile Market)
  • DroidWall

Steps:
  1. Open SQLite Editor
  2. Open "Settings Storage" (com.android.providers.settings)
  3. Open settings.db
  4. open "global" table
  5. Highlight entry "IS_DTCP_ENABLED"
  6. Click the Edit Record button at the top
  7. Change the value from a 1 to a 0
  8. Click Save
  9. Go back
  10. Make same change on the "secure" table
  11. Reboot kindle for new options to take effect.

Other Thoughts:
This just changes the value temporarily until the device checks back in with Amazon and then the value will get overridden again with the correct value. To prevent that install DroidWall and whitelist only the applications you need to access the internet. DroidWall requires root, which is why root is in the subject. But you should be doing this anyways to prevent OTA updates.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Souple For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 12:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 132

415 posts
cool
Does this mean that you will now get the rotating native wallpapers that you would have if you paid for the dismissal of the ads? Currently I use adaway on my s4 hotspot and the only one I blacklist is (spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com) this has blocked updates because I am still on old software with no other blocking in place and I have noticed it also has blocked rotateing ads accept I have the same 1 at all times.

Edit: YAY !!!! and yes I now have rotating native wallpapers
Btw thank you for sharing and it is quite refreshing to see a new member join to share useful information in a well thought out and presented OP and not just join to start a thread with a question that is the heading of so many other threads that has been beat to death already..burying perfectly good information..thank you for joining us at XDA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140621_181525.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2810780  
Last edited by jimyv; 22nd June 2014 at 02:16 AM.
22nd June 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
Awesome!!!! have been looking for a way to do this without factory reset for a while! You da man! Gonna spam that thanks button for a while lol
24th June 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Thanks so much, that was easy!
The Following User Says Thank You to dras99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 12:04 AM   |  #5  

415 posts
Mind after a few days .2 went straight black lock screen
25th June 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #6  

5 posts
Anyone know what exactly I need to enable in droidwall to have internet but no ota updates or Amazon changing the lock screen back to ads?
25th June 2014, 07:45 AM   |  #7  

415 posts
Uhg
26th June 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #8  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 77

164 posts
More
This mod works fine. No ads, rotating wallpapers appear every time. No reversion to black screen. No need for Droidwall. Use of Droidwall is impractical for this purpose. Who knows what not to include in some giant white list?

It appears that the wallpapers will continue to appear without reversion if you have blocked updates using the root kit.
Last edited by earlgrey_44; 27th June 2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update
27th June 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #9  

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlgrey_44

This mod works fine. No ads, rotating wallpapers appear every time. No reversion to black screen. No need for Droidwall. Use of Droidwall is impractical for this purpose. Who knows what not to include in some giant white list?

It appears that the wallpapers will continue to appear without reversion if you have blocked updates using the root kit.

Sorry, what's the root kit?
27th June 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #10  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 77

164 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dras99

Sorry, what's the root kit?

First link in this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...23&postcount=3

I assume the block update action from the rootkit is responsible for the lack of reversion to ads since I haven't done anything else except the steps I outlined in the post and the data base tweaks explained above. My kindle has been running for 5 days now without ads and with the startup wallpaper.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread