Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,709 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ask a Stupid (Firmware) Question

Tip us?

eoraptor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Ask a Stupid (Firmware) Question

Okay....so I need to twiddle around with my trusty old HOX in order to solve the constant rebooting issues. (I also want to jump ship off of the memory-heavy Viper Venom that's on it to just straight CM or something similarly light weight)

To do that I've got to update the firmware.

And to do that... first I have to identify what bloody firmware I have so that I use the correct updating method and don't brick my one and only device.

I'm not a total noob... I've been working on a beginner/moderate level with Android for 3 years now... I can get around ADB (typos not withstanding) reasonably well, push commands, get to hboot, know fastboot and such... but I am just not finding the specific answers I need right this moment to get this work done. So if Someone can point me in the proper direction, I would be muchly appreciative.

Right Now my bootloader screen says the following

Quote:
Tampered
Unlocked
Evita PVT Ship S-ON RLHboot 1.09.0000
Radio 0.20os.32.09.10_2
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815

eMMC-boot

So, who can tell me which firmware version contains Hboot1.09? Once I know that, I can start the process of SuperCID and S-OFF to make these updates. Barring that, anyone who can point me to a one-click unlock tool would be great too... the ones I find on the first few pages of the forum all recommend firmware newer than what I know is installed on here according to the above into, and I am leery to use them for risk of bricking my one and only phone.
PHONE: HTC OneX (AT&T branded)
Rom: Viper Venom XL 4.2.0
Modifications: Swiftkey Pro, Nova Launcher Pro, USB flash drive, Straighttalk SIM

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5302

DONATE TO ME
Your current firmware is actually irrelevant, you need not worry about that at all. All you need to do is get s-off, which should be a sinch. Because you don't have SuperCID (I'm assuming from your last paragraph) you really only have one option, which is the Rumrunner method. It should work with Viper installed, if not it has a good success rate with the Kickdroid ROM.

Rumrunner S-off

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | CandyKat | Torched KK
S-off | 2.18 | TWRP 2.7.1.0
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

eoraptor
Old
(Last edited by eoraptor; 21st June 2014 at 05:31 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
So I did have SuperCID... a readCID command demonstrated that.

and thanks to your assuaging my fears, timmaaaa, I was able to flash to 2.15 without a problem.

the problem now... is even after pushing TWRP every way I know how, I can't get into recovery, even with fastboot erase cache. ugh I feel like yanking my hair out.

but at least the phone hasn't randomly slowed down or rebooted since flashing the new firmware. (and the pesky double-reboot that made flashing it such a core in the first place is fixed too)

::edit:: gonna spend the next hour redownloading the venom ro so I can push the boot.img file, maybe that will fix things.
Modifications: Swiftkey Pro, Nova Launcher Pro, USB flash drive, Straighttalk SIM

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5302

DONATE TO ME
Did you check the md5 of the recovery download?

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | CandyKat | Torched KK
S-off | 2.18 | TWRP 2.7.1.0
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

eoraptor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Did you check the md5 of the recovery download?

Sent from my Evita
Yes I did. I also tried to install it via a few onboard solutions like goo.im. no go. it says it's been installed, fastboot insists the phone is unlocked and s-off; but it boots to the flash screen, tries to load recovery, fails, and reboots to the rom.

I am going to assume that the unlock is fubar somehow and start from scratch by installing 2.20 and using the HTC unlock, and go from there.

now if only damned downloads didn't take 5 hours on my slow rural connections... thank you isp conglomeracy.

-Lex Luthor

Tags
cid, firmware, hox, root