Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 39,183 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] XBMC - How to change thumbnail cache location and buffer size?

Tip us?

JJ-KwiK
Old
(Last edited by JJ-KwiK; 21st June 2014 at 03:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default [Q] XBMC - How to change thumbnail cache location and buffer size?

Sorry about the newbish question, but I was wondering how I would go about changing the location of where the thumbnail cache is saved? I'd like to change it from the FireTV itself to an Ext USB HDD, now that we have root/stickmount. I'd also like to increase my buffer size, if at all possible.

The HDD is formatted to Fat32 and I've created a folder on the root of the device called, "xbmc_thumbnails". I've also used stickmount to mount the HDD.

I've created my advancedsettings.xml, placed it in "Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/", and added the following:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
 <network>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute> 
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/sdcard/usbstorage/sda1/xbmc_thumbnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
   <cachemembuffersize>104857600</cachemembuffersize>
 </network>
</advancedsettings>
Does this look right? The cachemembuffersize change seems to be working ok, however the pathsubtitution isn't. Thoughts?

Thanks buddehs...

{ParanoiA}
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Just a suggestion maybe try the full path in the <to> instead of the symlink sdcard?
HTC ONE M8: S-OFF
ROM: ViperOneM8
RECOVERY: TWRP
KERNEL: Stock

The Following User Says Thank You to {ParanoiA} For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJ-KwiK
Old
(Last edited by JJ-KwiK; 21st June 2014 at 10:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by {ParanoiA} View Post
Just a suggestion maybe try the full path in the <to> instead of the symlink sdcard?
Just tried. Still a no go...

KarlP
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-KwiK View Post
Just tried. Still a no go...
I just spent the better part of today working on this same thing. I want to be able to use XBMC on the FireTV offline with content on a USB mounted hard drive, and while online, use my centralized server.

I ended up with two profiles, and the Offline advancedsettings.xml looks like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/profiles/Offline/Thumbnails/</from>
            <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/sda1/Media/XBMCCache/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
I also needed to whack the Textures database in the database folder of that profile, exit (Force Stop) XBMC and go back in.

Never seen those <network></network> tags. Try removing your pathsubstitution from within those. I believe you also need the the /storage/emulated/0/... instead of just the /sdcard/...

It does work!
The Following User Says Thank You to KarlP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJ-KwiK
Old
(Last edited by JJ-KwiK; 22nd June 2014 at 12:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
I just spent the better part of today working on this same thing. I want to be able to use XBMC on the FireTV offline with content on a USB mounted hard drive, and while online, use my centralized server.

I ended up with two profiles, and the Offline advancedsettings.xml looks like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/profiles/Offline/Thumbnails/</from>
            <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/sda1/Media/XBMCCache/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
I also needed to whack the Textures database in the database folder of that profile, exit (Force Stop) XBMC and go back in.

Never seen those <network></network> tags. Try removing your pathsubstitution from within those. I believe you also need the the /storage/emulated/0/... instead of just the /sdcard/...

It does work!
Thanks man!
That solved my problem.
Both are working perfectly now.
I removed the network tags, and boom! SUCCESS!