Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

Best Backup for HTC One M8?

OP Wanton86

21st June 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I need to return my phone for a replacement through amazon, and I'm wondering what the best way to backup my phone is? I've tried searching around on XDA and it's a bit overwhelming. HTC and google offer some sort of backup but I'm not sure what is being saved and there are other threads for different phones. If possible, I'd like to just be able get it set up where it's just like I never got a new phone with all the files and settings the same way. Also to have apps backed up too.

My phone is NOT rooted.

Thanks
21st June 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #2  
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 315

2,203 posts
More
If you are not rooted, make sure in settings you have enabled Google backup. Once you get your new phone and login with Google account select restore and it will auto download all your apps. But it will not download the app data. There are other solutions like backup apps like helium and titanium backup. I know helium works without root not sure about titanium backup. If you are rooted titanium backup is the best out there and it will restore all the apps and it's data.

The stock Google backup and reset is not good, but that's all we have currently. Hopefully it's better in the next version and we can restore app data as well from Google restore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
21st June 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdroid

If you are not rooted, make sure in settings you have enabled Google backup. Once you get your new phone and login with Google account select restore and it will auto download all your apps. But it will not download the app data. There are other solutions like backup apps like helium and titanium backup. I know helium works without root not sure about titanium backup. If you are rooted titanium backup is the best out there and it will restore all the apps and it's data.

The stock Google backup and reset is not good, but that's all we have currently. Hopefully it's better in the next version and we can restore app data as well from Google restore.

Is there an easy way to backup files? I suppose I could just transfer them to a PC but if there's a way I can do it with like with Helium that you suggested, that'd be great.

What about phone settings? Will helium take care of that as well?

Thanks
21st June 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #4  
Dublin
Thanks Meter: 140

422 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton86

Is there an easy way to backup files? I suppose I could just transfer them to a PC but if there's a way I can do it with like with Helium that you suggested, that'd be great.

What about phone settings? Will helium take care of that as well?

Thanks

just use htc backup. it will backup everything and the restore to new phone when you'll sign in with your account. the phone will be identical to the old one.

21st June 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominozh

just use htc backup. it will backup everything and the restore to new phone when you'll sign in with your account. the phone will be identical to the old one.

Is this an app, or is this native to my phone? I see an HTC Backup for HTC One in the Google Play Store
22nd June 2014, 12:59 AM   |  #6  
Dublin
Thanks Meter: 140

422 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton86

Is this an app, or is this native to my phone? I see an HTC Backup for HTC One in the Google Play Store

the one in the playstore is the same as the one in your phone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread