Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Backup for HTC One M8?

Tip us?
 
Wanton86
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Best Backup for HTC One M8?

I need to return my phone for a replacement through amazon, and I'm wondering what the best way to backup my phone is? I've tried searching around on XDA and it's a bit overwhelming. HTC and google offer some sort of backup but I'm not sure what is being saved and there are other threads for different phones. If possible, I'd like to just be able get it set up where it's just like I never got a new phone with all the files and settings the same way. Also to have apps backed up too.

My phone is NOT rooted.


Thanks
 
kirdroid
Old
#2  
kirdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 308
Posts: 2,179
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle
If you are not rooted, make sure in settings you have enabled Google backup. Once you get your new phone and login with Google account select restore and it will auto download all your apps. But it will not download the app data. There are other solutions like backup apps like helium and titanium backup. I know helium works without root not sure about titanium backup. If you are rooted titanium backup is the best out there and it will restore all the apps and it's data.

The stock Google backup and reset is not good, but that's all we have currently. Hopefully it's better in the next version and we can restore app data as well from Google restore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
Wanton86
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdroid View Post
If you are not rooted, make sure in settings you have enabled Google backup. Once you get your new phone and login with Google account select restore and it will auto download all your apps. But it will not download the app data. There are other solutions like backup apps like helium and titanium backup. I know helium works without root not sure about titanium backup. If you are rooted titanium backup is the best out there and it will restore all the apps and it's data.

The stock Google backup and reset is not good, but that's all we have currently. Hopefully it's better in the next version and we can restore app data as well from Google restore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Is there an easy way to backup files? I suppose I could just transfer them to a PC but if there's a way I can do it with like with Helium that you suggested, that'd be great.

What about phone settings? Will helium take care of that as well?

Thanks
 
tominozh
Old
#4  
tominozh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 133
Posts: 396
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton86 View Post
Is there an easy way to backup files? I suppose I could just transfer them to a PC but if there's a way I can do it with like with Helium that you suggested, that'd be great.

What about phone settings? Will helium take care of that as well?

Thanks
just use htc backup. it will backup everything and the restore to new phone when you'll sign in with your account. the phone will be identical to the old one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Devices:
HTC One M8 - current
HTC One S -sold
HTC Hero - still working, still my backup phone
 
Wanton86
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominozh View Post
just use htc backup. it will backup everything and the restore to new phone when you'll sign in with your account. the phone will be identical to the old one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Is this an app, or is this native to my phone? I see an HTC Backup for HTC One in the Google Play Store
 
tominozh
Old
#6  
tominozh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 133
Posts: 396
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton86 View Post
Is this an app, or is this native to my phone? I see an HTC Backup for HTC One in the Google Play Store
the one in the playstore is the same as the one in your phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Devices:
HTC One M8 - current
HTC One S -sold
HTC Hero - still working, still my backup phone
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

[OTA Captured] Verizon LG G Pad 8.3 Finally Gets Official KitKat Update

It’s been almost nine months since the LG G Pad … more

Enjoy Wallpaper Overload with PhotoPhase

We don’t usually feature live wallpapers on the XDA Portal unless they are somewhat innovative … more

Monitor What Your Phone’s Camera Sees with Android Wear

Having a smart device strapped to your wrist certainly has its merits. A … more

Mod Lets You Have Stereo Speakers on Your Sony Xperia Z1 (Sort Of)

The stereo speakers onthe Sony Xperia Z2areprobably a relatively large … more