Please act like I am stupid (and I am) and help me get a custom ROM on my Kindle.

Search This thread

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
I have a 2012 Kindle Fire HD and a fastboot factory cable. I originally used the KFHD System.img Restore Tool today and flashed a pre-rooted 7.4.8 image on my Kindle Fire HD. I wanted the Playstore so I tried Option 2 but when the system came up I couldn't activate WiFi. I tried Option 1 and WiFi worked. I wanted Playstore so I tried both 7.4.9 and 7.3.0 with Option 2 but no WiFi at all so I put 7.4.9 Option 1 on. I then followed a guide to put the Playstore on and it worked and then I tried to put the Amazon Kindle app on for my books but it said it was already installed but it wasn't available in the Apps section. I couldn't uninstall it as there wasn't an option for it so I couldn't reinstall. I decided I just wanted to put a custom ROM on like CM11 so I followed a guid and installed a 2nd boot loader and TWRP. I rebooted into TWRP and tried to mount it but it wasn't working so I exited out of TWRP, rebooted and connected my normal cable and started copying CM11 over to the Kindle so I could install it but my Kindle restarted and during boot it said updating and when it came back up I no longer had root any more. I have now been trying to redo it with KFHD Restore Tool but now of the version numbers are giving me WiFi.

Can someone please walk me through rooting and installing a custom ROM with my fastboot cable. I have tried so many guides and done so many thinks to my PC and am not sure where to go now. Could someone walk me through start to finish on exactly what to do since I do have a fastboot factory cable? Thanks in advance.

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
I have a 2012 Kindle Fire HD and a fastboot factory cable. I originally used the KFHD System.img Restore Tool today and flashed a pre-rooted 7.4.8 image on my Kindle Fire HD. I wanted the Playstore so I tried Option 2 but when the system came up I couldn't activate WiFi. I tried Option 1 and WiFi worked. I wanted Playstore so I tried both 7.4.9 and 7.3.0 with Option 2 but no WiFi at all so I put 7.4.9 Option 1 on. I then followed a guide to put the Playstore on and it worked and then I tried to put the Amazon Kindle app on for my books but it said it was already installed but it wasn't available in the Apps section. I couldn't uninstall it as there wasn't an option for it so I couldn't reinstall. I decided I just wanted to put a custom ROM on like CM11 so I followed a guid and installed a 2nd boot loader and TWRP. I rebooted into TWRP and tried to mount it but it wasn't working so I exited out of TWRP, rebooted and connected my normal cable and started copying CM11 over to the Kindle so I could install it but my Kindle restarted and during boot it said updating and when it came back up I no longer had root any more. I have now been trying to redo it with KFHD Restore Tool but now of the version numbers are giving me WiFi.

Can someone please walk me through rooting and installing a custom ROM with my fastboot cable. I have tried so many guides and done so many thinks to my PC and am not sure where to go now. Could someone walk me through start to finish on exactly what to do since I do have a fastboot factory cable? Thanks in advance.

Here is the error I am getting now. I have even have done Option 4 Erase Cache and User Data

205xic7.jpg

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown

If you are rooted:
  • Place the ROM and GApps zips on the sdcard
  • Install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP. There are several ways to do this. Method 1:FireFlash by stanga72. Method 2:Flasher by me. Method 3:manual.
  • Boot into TWRP. Wipe data,system,cache,dalvik cache(but not internal storage)
  • Flash the ROM and GApps
If you want to install the bootloader and TWRP via fastboot,use these commands:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Reactions: 1210335

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
Thank you to all that helped. Via the KFHD System.img Restore Tool I was able to put a pre-rooted image on the Kindle, used KF First Aide to install Play Store so I could install ES File Explorer, installed 2nd boot and TWRP with Fire Flash and finally installed CM11 with TWRP. That was a long process.

Question. I bought a second blacklisted Kindle off eBay and wonder if it is possible to image this one I just completed so I can just duplicate it using KFHD System.image Restore Tool and can do this with just one step instead of the four I did on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
I'll try and get you the commands tomorrow from my other phone when I work from home tomorrow. They are listed somewhere here on the forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Thank you to all that helped. Via the KFHD System.img Restore Tool I was able to put a pre-rooted image on the Kindle, used KF First Aide to install Play Store so I could install ES File Explorer, installed 2nd boot and TWRP with Fire Flash and finally installed CM11 with TWRP. That was a long process.

Question. I bought a second blacklisted Kindle off eBay and wonder if it is possible to image this one I just completed so I can just duplicate it using KFHD System.image Restore Tool and can do this with just one step instead of the four I did on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Commands to backup system,boot and recovery partitions and boot0block:
Code:
adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0block.img"
adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img"
adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img"
adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system.img"
mkdir C:\Backup
cd/
cd Backup
adb pull /sdcard/boot0block.img
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img
adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img
adb pull /sdcard/system.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you are rooted:
    • Place the ROM and GApps zips on the sdcard
    • Install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP. There are several ways to do this. Method 1:FireFlash by stanga72. Method 2:Flasher by me. Method 3:manual.
    • Boot into TWRP. Wipe data,system,cache,dalvik cache(but not internal storage)
    • Flash the ROM and GApps
    If you want to install the bootloader and TWRP via fastboot,use these commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery kfhd7-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot