Ask a question

No registration required

Help replacing cracked glass on screen?

OP ryangunnip

20th June 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I attempted to remove and replace the glass that covers the screen/digitizer assembly. I was very careful melting the adhesive and slowly taking it off. The repair kit I purchased came with the tools needed, and even included some 2mm tape to keep it on. Before laying the new glass down, I turned the device on to test the screen, everything was in working ordered and it responded to touch fine, sensing around 8/10 taps. However, when the new glass is on, the device loses all sensitivity to touch. The menu and back button don't even work. I noticed that the replacement glass is a little thicker than the original. I purchased some LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive), hoping that if I glue the new glass down just like it was glued originally, it will respond to touch the way it should because there won't be any open space/air between the glass and the digitizer. Before I even attempt to glue the glass on, should I even bother? Is there a chance the digitizer is broken? There are absolutely no visible defects and it seems to work fine when nothing is over it. It detects probably 8\10 or 9\10 taps. :\

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd June 2014, 05:09 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,653

3,987 posts
Check out this thread in the S3 forums. You will learn more from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1890708 about pros and con's of each, learn how to install properly with loca, and why you should use loca.

In my experience with trying both ways on my S3 I learned a lot.
First time without loca and had very little issues except screen touches not always working and having to hit the power button off and on for it to work. Then breaking it easily about 6 months or less again.

Second time I used local but I didn't cure it properly/enough and it leaked into the peripheral devices like camera and eventually motherboard died.

Replaced motherboard and glass again with loca and cured it with a ACTUAL UV light fixture and it still looks and works like new. I did not replace the camera from the first loca mishap as it is just a flashing/downloading/ emergency so are phone now.

So I do say Loca is the best method. Just take precaution and remove EVERYTHING so you are left with just the LCD and frame. Apply loca as in many videos available and the use a real UV light fixture. Do NOT rely on sunlight or weak UV lights to cure the loca completely. Good luck.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337
The Following User Says Thank You to RockRatt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread