5,815,095 Members 38,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlock Bootloader (Post-OTA)?

Tip us?
 
Hackenstein
Old
#1  
Hackenstein's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 165
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default [Q] Unlock Bootloader (Post-OTA)?

Hey Guys,

Dug out my two old Droid DNAs today to sell them both. One has the unlocked bootloader, the other (my wife's old phone) does not. She took the OTA update when it went out way back when.

Been scouring the forums every where trying to find a way to unlock the bootloader to up the phone's value a little. Has anyone found a way to do this after the software update?

If there isn't a way to do it, does that make this phone pretty much un-changeable? Is it not possible to get root, add custom recovery, flash custom OS, etc?


Thanks!
Galaxy Note 3
Rooted/SS installed
MJE BajaROM
 
don_john
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: st. george's
Default bootloader

So no one have found a method so far to boot unlock after the OTA?
 
tazz5150
Old
#3  
tazz5150's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_john View Post
So no one have found a method so far to boot unlock after the OTA?
I'm still looking for that also...
 
mopartonyg
Old
#4  
mopartonyg's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 672
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: L.A. Area
I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to mopartonyg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tazz5150
Old
#5  
tazz5150's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartonyg View Post
I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.
I couldn't find the RUU for the Verizon DNA, did you use something else that worked for this phone?
 
I.M.famous XMAN
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 151
Posts: 417
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.
<<I.M.famous>>
****************************
ViperDNA
****************************
"I aM famous"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I.M.famous XMAN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mopartonyg
Old
#7  
mopartonyg's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 672
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: L.A. Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.famous XMAN View Post
Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.
Exactly!!
 
tazz5150
Old
#8  
tazz5150's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 15
Join Date: Nov 2011
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartonyg View Post
I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.
I know this will be a frustrating question for you;
For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
Or, do i need to look for something newer to come out?
 
mopartonyg
Old
#9  
mopartonyg's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 672
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: L.A. Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz5150 View Post
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------



I know this will be a frustrating question for you;
For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
Or, do i need to look for something newer to come out?
I used weaksauce and firewater after I took the 4.4.2 update
 
mopartonyg
Old
#10  
mopartonyg's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 672
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: L.A. Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz5150 View Post
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------



I know this will be a frustrating question for you;
For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
Or, do i need to look for something newer to come out?
my battery life is the same or better with KK

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Change the Style of Your Notifications with HeadsUp

Head Up notifications is one of these upcoming features that Android developers hid deep … more

Google Play Store to Show Price Ranges for In-App Purchases

Google recently announced a change to Google Play Store policy that requires … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Shut Up Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

So many different applications want to send us notifications that … more

Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more