[Q] Root help on C6506 with 4.4.2 installed

OP rush381

28th May 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I don't know much about the Xperia ZL at all. It's my girlfriend's phone. She's having a really hard time with lag issues, some weird screen drag when she's swiping her notification tray and real battery drain issues. I wanted to maybe try installing a custom KK rom to see if it got rid of some of these issues. Or at least a custom recovery so I can play around and try things without fear of messing it up.

So I've been reading for the last couple hours and I'm having trouble finding a solid way to root or install CWM. Her bootloader is locked and she just updated to 4.4.2 a couple days ago. Seems there aren't many tutorials for this situation and I'm not experienced enough to piece older posts together myself. Does anyone have a clear, concise way of how I can root this phone and install a recovery for the C6506? I have installed flashtool but don't know how to use it really. Any help would be wonderful, thanks guys!
31st May 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #2  
Flag Mysore
Thanks Meter: 178

501 posts
More
here you go

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53042512
The Following User Says Thank You to anagramgenius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 12:20 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 5

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagramgenius

here you go

@ anagramgenius, your solution forces downgrade to 4.2.2. This does not address the question of rooting 4.4.2.
1st June 2014, 01:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Mysore
Thanks Meter: 178

501 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4abw

@ anagramgenius, your solution forces downgrade to 4.2.2. This does not address the question of rooting 4.4.2.

read the whole thing
1st June 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 125

368 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4abw

Yes, you can't root 4.4.2 directly. You have to do a downgrade, and that requires unlocking your bootloader. If you don't want to unlock it (or can't do it) search for NUTs method in the development section.
The Following User Says Thank You to sturmtruppler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #6  
Flag Brasília
Thanks Meter: 3

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmtruppler

Yes, you can't root 4.4.2 directly. You have to do a downgrade, and that requires unlocking your bootloader. If you don't want to unlock it (or can't do it) search for NUTs method in the development section.

Downgrading DOES NOT require unlocking bootloader, you can flash Amy 4.1-4.4 ftf with an locked bootloader, but it must be a stock ROM. For rooting, the only way to root a locked bootloader is to downgrade to 4.2, exploit, install XZDualRecovery and update to 4.4 using a rooted stock zip and stripped ftf.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to LimaBEERRE For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 08:41 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 125

368 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaBEERRE

Downgrading DOES NOT require unlocking bootloader, you can flash Amy 4.1-4.4 ftf with an locked bootloader, but it must be a stock ROM. For rooting, the only way to root a locked bootloader is to downgrade to 4.2, exploit, install XZDualRecovery and update to 4.4 using a rooted stock zip and stripped ftf.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thats right, thanks for making that clear.

But you need to unlock when flashing a modded kernel with recovery. The way to root you mentioned is described by NUT in this forum, that's what I meant.
The Following User Says Thank You to sturmtruppler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagramgenius

here you go

Oh wow, managed to get rooted using this SO easily! Right on, you guys are the best. I'll look around but since I'm already here posting, does anyone know some good custom roms for this phone with a locked bootloader? Mostly finding roms that require an unlocked bootloader but I haven't searched too hard yet. Thanks again!!
22nd June 2014, 08:14 AM   |  #9  
Flag Coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 15

24 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush381

Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I don't know much about the Xperia ZL at all. It's my girlfriend's phone. She's having a really hard time with lag issues, some weird screen drag when she's swiping her notification tray and real battery drain issues. I wanted to maybe try installing a custom KK rom to see if it got rid of some of these issues. Or at least a custom recovery so I can play around and try things without fear of messing it up.

So I've been reading for the last couple hours and I'm having trouble finding a solid way to root or install CWM. Her bootloader is locked and she just updated to 4.4.2 a couple days ago. Seems there aren't many tutorials for this situation and I'm not experienced enough to piece older posts together myself. Does anyone have a clear, concise way of how I can root this phone and install a recovery for the C6506? I have installed flashtool but don't know how to use it really. Any help would be wonderful, thanks guys!

Use this app. You should have USB debugging enabled. Download directly to your phone. And click "Make it rain". Then download super su from playstore. Then install nut's Philz recovery. Thats all. Enjoy...
Attached Files
File Type: apk tr.apk - [Click for QR Code] (103.1 KB, 12 views)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flashtool, recovery, root, xperia
Previous Thread Next Thread